cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voice due to not issues

Fuzzybee
Dabbler

No voice due to not issues

Can somebody please shed some light on this, I recently got my son a PS3 with Destiny so he can play and chat with his mates. I did all the things you should do for PS3 I have set a static IP address and put the PS3 in the routers DMZ.
Sometimes he can chat sometimes he gets the no voice due to not issues error, when I do a test via the PS3 it says nat type 2, so everything should work.
If I reset the Plusnet and Openreach routers the voice works for a while then he gets the no voice due to not issues problem again. I am using some home plugs I got free with a BT Homehub a few years ago.
I get the same issues with the PS3 in wireless mode, can anybody help would I be better off replacing my Openreach and Plusnet routers with a single unit if so which one.
I also have an Xbox One connected via wifi with no issues
5 REPLIES 5
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: No voice due to not issues

it might be the case that you would be better off with a different router, doe you find the problem starts whenever both consoles are switched on /off or does it happen when only one is in use, and what else is connected and in use at the same time ?
when you say the issue disappears when you power cycle the modem & router, do you power cycle both of them all the time to fix it or have you tried only power cycling one of them to see if that alone fixes the issue ?
there are more xdsl or vdsl2+ combined modem/routers coming onto the market place now than there was a year ago and a good chance you will get something that works really well for you for not a lot of money, however some of them require a fair bit of setup and others are just click a few buttons and type in your username /password and hit start so your budget for a new device and how confident you feel about doing the setup on a more advanced bit of kit would go a long way to helping others give advice about what might suit your needs, won likely be me though because I only have experience of one make /model and although I love it, it has a price tag around £150 /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
scoop4400

I reported my N.A.T. issues to PlusNet who deny all knowledge of routers even though they supplied me with a router that is not configured for gaming.Since I am paying for online gaming it seems legal action to get PlusNet to reimburse me for the cost of the Destiny game I bought but can not play with their router.
legume
Rising Star

NAT issues are complicated and it seems destiny comes up here more than other games.
You don't say what your setup/console or consoles is (not that I am saying I would know a solution for you).
The OP in this thread has a situation with 2 consoles one with DMZ.  The behavior described is understandable in this case as DMZ is not a magic solution that will always get open nat when more than one device is present and maybe upnp is in the mix.
I don't use Plusnet routers so can't comment on them.
I do "my own" upnp and with 3 xbox 360s it worked well - but we've upgraded to ones and it's more complicated now as the one lets the games do their own stuff (possibly in a stupid way). The ones themselves behave "normally" and have open NAT. I've yet to get round to working out how to get 3 copies of black ops 3 to get open NAT (early days I need to learn more) as IMHO the game its self does not behave sensibly WRT upnp. I have the advantage of total control here - so there is at least a chance, but then it may turn out to be impossible.
Historically COD Ghosts on a PS3  seemed buggy to me. Multiple ghosts on xbox360 worked perfectly - but then that was because the 360 didn't let games do their own thing. The one, ps3 and I guess PS4 do.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

what the op describes is exactly what happens if you have more than one device and utilise dmz for one of them, the only fix is get a decent router (none of the isp supplied junk is capable of handling multiple open nat clients they just don't have the processing power) your not a typical user with 1 console that's in use and maybe a couple of wifi connected smartphones with possibly a single wired device so you need to look at "proper" equipment that not only meets todays needs but will last for several years to come and is already fully compatible with known upcoming changes to the broadband network (ipv6 /g-imp etc) and likely expansion in the amount of connected kit you can maybe foresee getting hold of.
for me that meant decent small business class of device (billion 8800axl) for the combined xdslmodem/router at a cheaper price point (and because i already am familiar with the billion menus) you might prefer other brands based on pricing etc and that's up to you to decide, however no matter which you go with it needs to already support the changes that have been announced as being implemented next year or the year after (happily for me the billion already supported those features despite my getting in some time back before they made the announcements)
@legume
depending on if you all wish to join the same games or not you have a few options, if your on wifi and your router supports guest networks you could create a separate guest network for each xbone and enable group isolation, they will then all act as a sole xbone on the network regardless of what game is being played and still be locatable via friends list so joint play can take place when required, if they are wired a similar setup of creating multiple groups with group isolation and assigning each xbone to a separate subnet, for added simplicity you can give each user their own separate dhcp, for instance my network has 3 separate groups, all the devices for one user are in one group (tablet phone desktop settop box console) and isolated from the rest of us the other 2 groups are combined to share data but currently we only have a single xbone so unless someone wins another one in a raffle we wont be getting more for some years to come /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
legume
Rising Star

I managed to fix this. I am not sure the subnet idea would have worked as it seems my issue was that the game expects UPnP IDGv2 behavior.
I think if a router does not do this then COD Black Ops III isn't going to get open nat. IGDv2 has been around for a while and earlier this year IGDv1 was officially deprecated - so in future at least certified upnp routers should work.
http://upnp.org/specs/gw/igd2/
I guess unless someone knows different that the plusnet routers are v1, though I read that they will be giving out homehubs for self install FTTC soon, maybe that is v2.
The specific feature needed is setting up snat/masq port mapping to match the incoming port opening/mapping.
The reason it works as is (old routers) for the xbox its self is that on boot the xbox will ask for UDP 3074 if it can't have it it will choose some other high port. It then proceeds to use the port it got for outgoing connections so this will work with v1.
BO3 isn't so compatible, it will ask for UDP 3075 and if it can't have it some other port 3xxx but it still wants to and does use 3075 internally, so even though dnat is set up to redirect (new) incoming 3xxx to internal 3075 it doesn't work out as far as the servers are concerned as they expect the IGD to change it for outbound also.
http://upnp.org/specs/gw/UPnP-gw-WANIPConnection-v2-Service.pdf ; Section 2.5.16 figure 2.2 (of course looking at figure 2.2 the dnat rule alone could be seen as being enough, but BO3 won't work without explicit snat/masq on outgoing new connections which of course never hit dnat (well not in the world of iptables/netfilter).
I don't use a router, I use Linux on a little DC PC to route/nas/pvr/qos etc. I was using something called igd2-for-linux for my upnp but despite its name it didn't have the feature needed so I had to hack it in.