cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No consistency

PitchBlack
Grafter

No consistency

Playing BF4 this afternoon and got 28 for 1, playing now and I can't hit a thing. Same gateway pcl-ag06 for about 2 months. Evening gaming is definitely very poor with PN. Streaming the England Samoan game this afternoon on the BBCi player and it never skipped a beat, now like most nights it is buffering. Congestion my end, or PN overloading the system with too many new customers. Either way it is pretty [Censored] in this day and age.
2 REPLIES 2
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No consistency

Hi PitchBlack,
Sorry to hear that you're seeing issues with latency, this shouldn't be linked to available bandwidth on our side as we have plenty available at the moment and having a check of your exchange, it doesn't seem to be close to capacity at the moment so all should be fine there as well.
Would it be possible for you to set up and run a BQM so that we can see how the connection is performing during standard operation on both the times where the connection is fine and then when you see issues with latency?
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: No consistency

Been reading about this. Seems worth a try.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-leatrixlantencyfix.html

Here is an explanation from a WoW forum page.
""How It Works
Online games generally use the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.
Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.
This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.
Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.
In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in online games the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.
Typical Scenario
If you could listen to a conversation between your computer and the game server, this is what you would hear.
Before Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over to you, got it?"
Your computer: ...
Server: "Come on, answer me! I don't have all day! Stop wasting time!"
Your computer: ...
Server: "Ok, forget it, I've waited long enough, sending another one over! Got it?"
Your computer: "Yep, got that one, also got the one you sent before, thanks."
Server: "Well, why didn't you acknowledge the first one when I sent it? I was waiting ages!"
Your computer: "Sorry, I'm just trying to make the network more efficient by bundling the acknowledgements together in pairs. This is how I'm setup by default."
After Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over, got it?"
Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
Server: "That was fast! Ok, here's another, got that?"
Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
Server: "Wow! What an improvement! Now that's more like it!"
Your computer: "Yep, it's certainly keeping me on my toes, thanks!"

Link here.
http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=182606/reduce-latency-addon
Hope it helps.