cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexuiz

extant
Dabbler

Nexuiz

I have a load of questions relating to the free open source game, Nexuiz (it's a first-person shooter, distantly descended from quake).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nexuiz/
-Is it on your traffic management games list? it uses UDP on port 26000. I guess this is probably the same as some other quake-family games, but I do not know how to tell for sure.
-My favourite flavour is team deathmatch, but there are no longer any servers near (ie to which I get a low ping) that offer team dm. Would it be possible for Plusnet to host a Nexuiz server?
-I tried hosting my own, but I find that players from the internet at large get pings of 100-150ms at best. (when i connect to a close server, i can get 50ms). is this caused by something Plusnet does to slow incoming connections? is there anything i could do to improve this?
[apologies if this has come up before. I had a quick look through the forum, but did not find answers to all of these.]
7 REPLIES 7
extant
Dabbler

Re: Nexuiz

Can plus net staff not answer these questions? Is this exclusively a PS3 and XBox forum?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

1) If you do a wireshark capture when running the game that should tell you whether the traffic is in the correct tier.
2) dunno.
3) Do you have interleaving on your line? If so that might account for the high pings, though removing it could cause line instabilty. Also have a look at the Max Premium upgrade that might help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Is it on your traffic management games list? it uses UDP on port 26000. I guess this is probably the same as some other quake-family games, but I do not know how to tell for sure.

Not according to the list at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,444.0.html - there's a guide at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/broadband_gaming/game_signatures.shtml which tells you how to get a game added.
My favourite flavour is team deathmatch, but there are no longer any servers near (ie to which I get a low ping) that offer team dm. Would it be possible for Plusnet to host a Nexuiz server?

It depends entirely on demand... unfortunately this is the first request we've seen for this game, at least that I'm aware of.
I tried hosting my own, but I find that players from the internet at large get pings of 100-150ms at best. (when i connect to a close server, i can get 50ms). is this caused by something Plusnet does to slow incoming connections?

It could be caused by the game not being prioritised on the network, though you need to be sure you're not downloading something or otherwise using the connection while hosting the game.
is there anything i could do to improve this?

I'll have a look and check if interleaving is enabled on your line. If it is, removing that would help. Other than that the only thing you can do is raise a ticket as per the guide above on how to submit a game.
I'll post back shortly regarding the interleaving, hope that helps.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, I've had a look and interleaving is on - if you want it turning off there's an option in the connection settings area of the portal (it'll be done in 24 hours and can be reversed if you wish).
You need to bear in mind that it could make your connection less stable at the expense of faster pings, but to be honest checking your sync rate history you won't have any issues with that.
Hope that helps,
extant
Dabbler

quake is on your list
this
http://seifried.org/security/ports/index.php?port_number=26000
says quake also uses UDP on port 26000
so I think nexuiz should be covered, no?
not many others keening for a plusnet hosted server, i see. shame. come on, give it a try.
i have learnt not to download simultaneously!
downloading wireshark now.
I will startup the server now that interleaving is off, see if it makes a difference.
thanks for your advice.
extant
Dabbler

[reads that again] aha, interleaving is on.
i looked around here
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings
and could not see the interleaving option. please help me with my myopia and point out where the option is more slowly!
[wireshark is still downloading]
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you can't see an interleaving option you will need to raise a ticket asking for its removal.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'