Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to plusnet

robbiegy2k
Grafter

New to plusnet

Hi All,
I've just ordered my pro package and I was just wondering if people could give me a few pointers to the best set up to use for gaming. I do some sporadic http browsing and minimal downloading (no p2p etc) my main use is xbox live (3-4 hrs a night).
I'll be setting up a static IP address, will ask for interleaving to be turned off, UPnP enabled.
So other than that and however the router comes configured should I look to set anything else to improve my gaming sessions? I can't remember if I need NAT enabled and should I set up port forwarding or not? my main issue im trying to overcome is I have a friend who lives 2 mins away and we can never join a COD5 party together or even private chat  Angry  I've tried many things but as I was with BE value (*boo hiss*) I couldn't get a static IP address off them (without upgrading) to set up port forwarding which was my last throw of the dice. Neither of us have problems connecting with anyone else on our friends list so im hoping, new ISP with static IP etc will sort this out.. Otherwise he can start doing some troubleshooting at his end!
Sorry for the long post, i'd be happy to hear what sort of configs ppl on here reccomend.
p.s im using a wired set up and no other devices attached when im gaming.
4 REPLIES 4
Euge
Grafter

Re: New to plusnet

Hey Robbie, welcome to plusnet and it's forums.
It sounds like you know what you're doing anyway. Not being an expert but why do you want a static ip address, does it hold any advantages? I've never needed to use one for the setup of my ps3 online (if it doesn't sort out the problem with your friend the techy guys here might be able to help you). You shouldn't need to do any port forwarding, my ps3 is on nat type 2 which has all of the correct ports forwarded.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Hi Euge 'n thanks for the welcome.
Well im no expert either even though I work in IT, networking isn't my strong point but I know enough to get by. Regarding the static IP address it doesn't have any particular advantages in terms of getting better speeds but is needed for port forwarding and if you wanted to host your own website. There's probably other things it enables you to do but I haven't a clue!
To be honest I don't really get problems with xbox live in general (no noticeable lag or dropped connections) it's just the 1 mate I can't connect to. I found out last night he's with BT so not sure what their standard config is but can't imagine it would be too strict that I can't connect to him. I've told him I may have to take a look at his config once my broadband is up and running if we still have problems.
scootie
Grafter

I couldn't get a static IP address off them (without upgrading) to set up port forwarding which was my last throw of the dice

you dont need a wan static ip (the one your isp gives you) at most your xbox needs a static ip from your router (lan ip) if your using upnp to port forward then no static ips are needed.
ive never had any problems on my xbox with upnp and no static lan ip on my netgear dg834g v4 but like to cover my self so i set my router to give my xbox's mac address an ip address that is resvered just for the box and the entered this ip in to the dmz ( opens up all ports and all traffic no matter what is put straight through to the xbox without the router gettin in the way.
now if your using the thompson router PN is giving out then DMZ is being abit of pig to set up on that router.
one other thing i keep my eye on with my netgear is the logs as i did have 1 instance where xbox traffic on port 3074 was being picked up as dos attack which ment my friend could enter my race pro room but couldnt see me and soon got kicked. i had to disable port scan dos protection. and in the end i downgraded the firmware version of the router
i would have go at setting both yours and your friends setups on the dmz setup and see if that solves the problem
what routers are u and your friend using?
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Hi Asbo Dog - I won't ask where that name came from!  Huh
Thanks for the advice, well as for my mates router im not sure what he's got but yes i'll be using a the thompson router that PN send out. I've got a couple of netgear routers so if I have problems with the new connection I might give one of them a go.  As for setting up the DMZ's, I probably won't want to go that far especially playing about with his router and i'd like to think we shouldn't have to just to play a game online together. I haven't even checked his NAT/upnp settings yet so want to do that when I get a chance.
I only prefer a static IP address because an old friend of mine who was a networking guru advised me to get one, even for online gaming. I can still get a dhcp range for my PC/other devices connection (I think thats how it worked). To be honest though if I can connect to him with the standard config then I won't bother with changing to static.. Roll on next friday!