cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to plusnet

nidgi

New to plusnet

Hello there
Just ordered the unlimited access package, after spending 2 years with BT broadband..
I use the 360 and PS3 online can anyone tell me what to expect with my new ISP? i was getting upload speeds of 6mb with BT and it was so easy to connect to XBOX LIVE and PSN with the BT hub.
Apparently i've ordered the Thomson 4 port wireless router, i've no idea how good it is or anything else about it, is it easy to set up with online gaming? can i connect it to 360 wired or do i need to use the 360's wireless adaptor to connect? any help in advance would be appreciated.
Cheers
Neil.
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New to plusnet

Hi Neil, welcome to the forums Smiley
Gaming is always better using wired, wireless can add some extra latency.
I've got a PS3 and have no problems gaming and there are other XBOX'ers who game quite happily on unlimited.
You should find the traffic management used by PN a good help.
There are a fair few gamers that will be able to help you should you hit any issues when you do come on line.
Can't really comment on the Thomson as I don't have one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Tyreal74
Grafter

6mb up? and you left?
Do you mean down stream?
Anyway no issues so far on PN for gaming and im on my XBox most nights, theres a little lag with streaming sometimes but overall gaming perforamnce is very high
nidgi

Thanks for the replies guys!!
Yeah my mistake i meant DL, the UL was half a meg at best!!
Hopefully i won't have any probs, before BT i was with AOL using ICS which was a bit of a pain at times..
Anyway any probs i'll see if you guys can help me..in meantime i'll wait for the activation
Thanks again..
mal0z
Grafter

The Thomson router is fine - for a "free" router. It's easy to set up - or at least is now with latest firmware.
There are better routers - but you need to spend real money for them.
If you have problems setting it up - just give PN a phone on the support line - they are good at helping people do such things.
or ask here.
I don't know about gaming - sorry.
scootie
Grafter

people have had trouble with the thompson and gaming ie uPNP is not at its best on the thompson.
i dont know if the people who had issues with the thompson manged to iron out any short comings of the router or not.
if i stumble over the threads i will post a link later
there was a problem with streaming vids on XBL but that was sorted all tho on the odd time i find when you set a stream off it just sits there if it hasnt buffered within 5-10 seconds i just back out and try again and it buffers straight away.
not sure if this PN's fault ( but all says not as its classed as streaming now) or just an issue with microsoft using limelight to dish there content out
the 2mb speed cap on gaming isnt a problem as gaming uses next to nothing on the bandwidth front. You may run in to problems if your trying to run 50 + xbox's  Crazy
You may find at peak times downloading game demo's ect from psn an xbl marketplaces will take longer than BT as they are traffic manged as 0x60 (download servers ect) but i find this o.k as i perfer stable low latency of my actual gaming better than getting a game demo download  super fast.
I tend to kick any xbl downloads off when i have fhinshed gaming at say 1-2am when its at line speed and set the xbox to background download so it switch's off when its done downloading
my XBL gamertag is in my sig if you hit any problems or just fancy a game feel free to give me a buzz tend to be on between 9pm an 2am
ITFCdan
Grafter

Hi i joined +net in feb and i'm very happy with the online gaming (PS3), i have the PRO package .
My only complaint is the 15GB limit which i seem to be going over just through gaming  Shocked and if this reccession deepens i'll be doulbling that limit !!!
nidgi

Hey Asbo what ya mean when you say 2mb speed cap? Is this the Download speed? they say you get up to 8megs, at best i was 6.5 megs with bt as download..just wandering what you meant by speedcap
Cheers..
My XBOX/PSN Gamertags =  WhoDaresWinz
scootie
Grafter

i take it when you say you signed to the unlimited access package you mean the unlimited usage pakage if so there is 2mb down speed cap on gaming on that package.
iam on it and many others are and unlimited is fine for gaming.
check here for expected speeds
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
nidgi

Yea unlimited usage, thanks for the table! i realise the pro package is more tailored for gaming, it doesnt state though what speed is reserved for gaming on pro package, i assume its as fast as line will allow?
ps Cod Waw is my fave game online for 360, i'm up for a challenge!! Prefer Hardcore modes..FFA and TDM (Top 600 in Hardcore FFA!!) ; )
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yes it is, but as ASBO said it is very unlikely you will every hit the 2mb limit.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

the pro package is more taliored to pc gamers as its harder for PN to keep up with signuters for all the new games on the pc due to the difrent ip's an ports used
where consoles are easy to prioitize right as an example the xbox uses port 3074 and PN have a default sig that covers all the games on XBL so ive never run into any problems on XBL games on PN traffic manged packages
all so people who want all there traffic (p2p, ftp ect) at line speed but dont mind the usage limit will go for the pro 15gb usgae limit package
iam the first to moan about a wee change in latency as you will see from my posts in the adsl2+ trial section.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75951.msg609428.html#msg609428
i changed from an old legacy product to unlimited and there was no diffrence in my gaming rest assured your gaming will be fine on the unlimited package
EDIT
even tho there is 2mb down cap gaming on unlimited it is still has prioity of titanium (0xa0) which is the highest so what that means is it basicaly queue jumps over the likes of p2p(bronze) and even streaming(gold) which means if there is bottle neck on PN's network your gaming will not see any latency issues
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My only complaint is the 15GB limit which i seem to be going over just through gaming 

Shocked Are you sure ? or do you mean aswell as downloading demos and stuff through you console? I spend a bit of time gaming aswell as streaming iplayer through my console and have never even got close to the limit on pro package. If it is while dloading stuff to the console pick you your downloads into your basket and set them off after midnight that way they'll be part of the free allowance. The PS3 and Xbox both have features to knock itself off after a certain time if saving the planets your thing.
coliander
Dabbler

Before moving to Plusnet I was with Tiscali.
For the best part of two years, I was barely able to participate in any 10 man content and completely unable to participate in any 25 man content in World of Warcraft due to Tiscali's ridiculous (and cetegorically denied) Traffic Shaping. As soon as my group entered combat, my latency would shoot from ~120ms up to 9000+ before the server kicked me off.
After a months of laising with Tiscali Customer "Support" (three of the people I spoke to weren't even aware of the term Interleaving, and the rest refused to elevate my issue since "Tiscali do not give technical support for games") I decided to dump them.
After a week or two of research, I decided that I'd move to Plusnet Pro. Although the migration got borked, which I believe was BT's fault and not Plusnet's, after two weeks I was connected and as far as gaming goes I am absolutely overjoyed with the service. Now I can participate in content along with 100+ other players and on average sit around 70ms latency.
I'm so astounded at the reliability and throughput of Plusnet Pro that I've recommended it to all the british members of my guild.
As a gamer, you won't be disappointed. Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I hope you made sure they give your account number m8 if they sign up you would be even more impressed with referral money. I have tried with a few of my friends but not being dedicated gamers they seem to just opt for the cheapest or free BB by swapping phone contracts.
Ok I suppose if you just do a bit of surfing now and again. I guess its like everything else you get what you pay for, there doesn't seem much point in spending £1000.00 on a gaming rig if you have a crappy internet connection. I treat my line as part of my setup so pay a touch more to get decent service which upto now I have.
Touch wood  Shocked