cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To PlusNet

Jowsh
Dabbler

New To PlusNet

Hello, just signed up for the pro package and decicded to ask some questions.
I play alot of CoD4 and W@W, what the general connection like, does the ping stay low-ish?
Had a look at my order and it says there a fault on my line, my speed has been dropping to 2MB in the evening, but it's usually 6.6MB and the ping is around the 80's. Possibly Interleaving?
Anyway, I can't wait to get up and running, it sounds awesome Cheesy
20 REPLIES 20
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: New To PlusNet

Hi Jowsh,
Speeds and Latency will obviously boil down to your individual connection, but I'm on the Unlimited package and I've not had any problems with any games so far - so on the Pro package you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. My ping to most games servers is usually between 25ms and 60ms - this is with Interleaving turned off.
I'm assuming you're migrating in from a different ISP - which ISP are you currently with? Any reason in particular for moving to PN?
If you need any other information, I'd be happy to help Smiley
Jowsh
Dabbler

I'm switching from Orange.  Cool
Moving to PN cause I love to play games and the ping with Orange is terrible, always over 50. I had a few conenctions problems in march, 300-500 ping. Took them 1 month to sort out, they said they turned off interleaving, but there hasn't been a huge difference.
So I'm hoping PN will have a better standard of service, and it's always a plus to have a UK based call centre  Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've been on the pro package a while now, I'm not the type to be testing pings and constantly monitoring my connection as such but thats probably down to the fact theres been nothing wrong so I guess thats a good thing.
My brother was on orange and had a nightmare with them, eventually paying to get out of the contract which involved his mobile and all sorts of things.
The pro package is probably no different to any other provider is offering as such othen than PN put a lot more time & effort into maintaining thier lines.
I have watched many friends go down the free BB with calls and mobile deals road and listening to the arguments they have with call centres and its not worth the hassle if you seriously game.
Not kissing anyone's a*se here just a satisfied customer paying a little bit more to stay satisfied  Grin
And BTW if your line is stable enough after switching  (check through these boards for posts on routerstats & stuff) turning interleaving off will be the only thing setting your connection any different from the other packages.
I get about 60ms with it still on. If pings your thing might be worth a try, I usually only get lag in servers where everybody else is getting it aswell usually because of lack of servers.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Hi , I have just signed up to the pro pachage after nightmare throteling on Bt and Sky connect.  Hope PS is as good as it sounds !!  As w@w was unplayable for me on them two providers recently (ps3).
HaydnExport
Grafter

I have 2 questions that are awaiting reply from yesterday in the my account part of this site,  If you could point someone in their direction i'd be grateful  Wink
James
Grafter

I'll reply to both of them now Haydn.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Thanks for that , it's my g/f name on the account but it'll be me asking the questions ! Cheesy
James
Grafter

Aha, that makes sense.
I'll get the router ordered now.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Thanks again, you're more helpful than sky and bt combined already  Cheesy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That's what we love about this place.............and long may it continue Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HaydnExport
Grafter

Hi again, just wondering what i could expect my ping to be once interleaving is turned off?  I usually get a 48 ping in the morning and a 60+ ping in the afternoon /evening.
scootie
Grafter

depends how far away from the gateways in london you are, 16-18ms to bbc.co.uk for me just south of sheffield
HaydnExport
Grafter

Doesn't sound promising then !!  I live on anglesey N.Wales !! Cheesy
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My ping has dropped on speedtest.net (not the most accurate) from usually about 62ms to 40ish since knocking off interleaving when pinging the recommended server at Sheffield from Cumbria. This may not appear much but the difference is noticeable in certain games for instance flying helicopters in Bad Company, before I just left the helis alone as some days I thought I'd sussed it and others they had a mind of thier own but now I actually feel like I'm in some way controlling it definately more responsive  Cool
According to the Ping test at speedtest I also have a A grade line but I never checked this before knocking the interleaving off.