cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neverwinter Nights 2 wierdness

Merago

Neverwinter Nights 2 wierdness

Hello all,
I recently migrated to Plusnet and have been impressed with what I've seen so far.  However, I've got a wierd problem that's reared it's head since I migrated.  I'm no longer able to play Neverwinter Nights 2 online.  I try to start up multiplayer and am told that NWN2 can't connect to the Gamespy player authorization servers.  No problem, I thought, I can just use direct connect.  I am then unable to connect to any of the game servers out there.  I can ping them, and NWN2 can ping them as I can see live statistics for the server, but I can't log in.  The server cannot be found allegedly.  NWN2 is trusted by my software firewall (just in case I re-added the trust and also disbled the firewall protection but still no joy -incidentally, it worked fine through the software firewall before I migrated.  My internal IP scheme is still exactly as was so as far as my software is concerned, nothing has changed).  I've also tried disabling my Thomson router's firewall without any success.  I'm scratching my head here trying to work out where the hell the problem is.  Anyone out there play NWN2 seen a similar problem?
Merago
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 wierdness

try doing a wireshark capture to make sure the traffic is being picked up right.
if your on pro package it shouldnt matter really as thats why the pro package is there to make sure pc games run o.k even if there not bein put on the database yet.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
Merago

Thanks for the help, but I managed to solve it.  On a whim I tried renaming the My Documents\Neverwinter Nights2 folder and, hey presto, I could connect.  There must have been some sort of corruption in my game profile, probably one of the .ini files.  So, it turns out it was purely coincidental that it happened just after migration. Smiley
James
Grafter

They made a second one and nobody told me?!
Spider
Grafter

Yep, NWN 2 but it was not created by Bioware. Personally still prefer NWN and don't own a copy of NWN 2. Glad to here the problem was linked only to a corrupted game profile.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: Jameseh
They made a second one and nobody told me?!

You're only 3 years behind the times  Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

This is not unusual Smiley
I loved the first one, but i t must be a good 4-5 years since I last played it.
oplesrope
Grafter

It might not be developed by Bioware, but i think the developer, Obsidian, is pretty much all ex-Black Isle Studios who developed Fallout and Fallout 2 as well as playing a big role in Baldurs Gate 1 and 2...  NWN1 was my last big dalliance with an RPG, maybe apart from those on DS.  Have tried to get into others since, like KOTOR and Mass Effect, but don't have the time or patience...
Merago

I still play both NWN1 and NWN2 online on a regular basis.  Because I'm so used to playing NWN, I'm sad to say that I can't get the same joy from playing automated, AI controlled 'instances' in more recognised MMORPGs that I can get from playing with DM controlled, and therefore, very reactive 'instances' in NWN1 and NWN2.  It's the closest thing to good old pen and paper gaming I've found.  I often find now, that when I start playing other MMORPGs, that they feel hollow and soulless in comparison.
If you only ever played the stand alone, official campaign for NWN1 or NWN2, you only saw the tip of the iceberg, the real longevity of both games comes from the community-built modules and, persistent worlds.  Think of how much more fun World of Warcraft could be if you could actually talk with the spawns, saying anything you like (not just scripted conversations), and have them react accordingly.
Hmm, re-reading that it sounds like such a fanboy thing to say, but it's true.! Honest.......................................I'll get me coat.  Smiley
Anyway, thanks again for the input.  Very impressed with PlusNet and it's attached community so far I have to say.