cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help connecting xbox360

paddy005

Need help connecting xbox360

Help. Just got an xbox 360 then signed up to plusnnet. However i'm really struggling to get on to xbox live. I don't actually have a pc, so have 'plugged the modem straight in to the xbox but don't seem to be able to establish a 'ip' address. If i'm honest my knowledge of computers is nil Feel free to talk to me as the village idiot. Embarrassed
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: Need help connecting xbox360

with no pc iam asuming you are posting from an internet enabled mobile phone or simlar which is not using your PN connection.
which makes it abit hard to help you dignose the problem.
first off are the dsl (solid green) and internet lights lit up on the router. again iam assuming you have the PN supplied thompson router.
my first thought to what the problem is this you havent got a pc to login into the thompson router and input your plusnet details to enable you to acess the internet which would be the reason the xbox is failing. all tho if your connected to the router by cable the xbox should still pick up a local network ip from your router and then just be failing to connect to XBL.
if you have any device at all that has a web browser and can connect to your router wired or wireless( the ssid and password for the default sercuity on the wireless should be written on under the router) the login to the router following this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43 and make sure your username and password for plusnet is setup. the username is entered in the following fashoin ( yourPNusername@pusdsl.net)
right so run down of what to check.
1. the dsl and internet lights on the router?
2. when your xbox is connected to the router what does the ip say on the network settings of the xbox?
(as you havent got on the internet i would think you still have the old dashboard and not the new NXE one. but if i rember right it will be still acessed by going to system setting and then network settings and confige network
3. any device you have that will connect to your router and has a web browser then follow this to acess the router settings http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43 and make sure your PN username and password is in the internet settings
yes adiewoo we all know the ps3 has a web browser Wink
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Lips_are_sealed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Tyreal74
Grafter

but Asbo you completely forgot you need to portforward the xbox ports to the xbox as it doesnt always autodetetect (i dont ahve the PN router so cant comment on them)
scootie
Grafter

tyreal slow down Cheesy
lets get the OP's xbox on the net before making sure  there NAT(network address translation) is open  Smiley
Tyreal74
Grafter

my xbox wouldnt go online BECAUSE of the NAT not as well as but then again mine is running on a static ip with a local and interent based DNS running off a separate subnet.
lol
scootie
Grafter

the nat status shouldnt really show its self as complete no connecter on  default thompson settings.
if it does turn out to be the problem i promise to eat my xbox's power brick while its still switched on Crazy
Any passing staff it would help us dignose the problem quicker if you could check to see if the OP's line has been synced and authed. cheers
that would get my question 1 out the way
James
Grafter

Nope, not yet. (Auth wise)
scootie
Grafter

cheers james.
you need to follow this then to get your router connected to plusnet
3. any device you have that will connect to your router and has a web browser then follow this to acess the router settings http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#43 and make sure your PN username and password is in the internet settings
the username is entered in the following fashoin ( yourPNusername@plusdsl.net)
is there any one that you can borrow laptop from to do this with.?
if you only know people with desktops then you could allways take your router around to theres and just wire it up to there pc ( no need to plug in to the phone socket) and enter and save settings