cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAT strict, MW3 PC (yes again)

davidwright6
Dabbler

NAT strict, MW3 PC (yes again)

I have the Thomson TG585 v8 and keep getting strict NAT on Call of Duty: MW3. I have already read through all the previous NAT threads, but can't fix the problem permanently. So yesterday i started again. I reset my router back to factory settings, entered all my log in details. So i tested and as i expected it was still strict. So now i did the Telnet thing and entered all the lines followed by "saveall" and "exit". Went back on MW3 and NAT OPEN. Next day, i go back on MW3 and its back to strict...... so this time i tried the telnet thing again but no change, still strict. So now i go into the router and onto add game/application thing and set all the MW3 ports to my machine. logged off, tried MW3, still strict. Rebooted router, try again and its OPEN. i can guarantee it will return to strict again by tomorrow, so whats the deal? there is no permanent fix? Because if i keep resetting my router, the Line I.P. drops and i get a rubbish connection speed. I can't win. I have a Netgear router aswell, and when i use that its OPEN all the time, but for some reason, that router will not stay connected for more that 24 hours (maybe faulty) so i'm forced to use the Thomson junk. How can u supply such rubbish routers and offer no fix to the problem. iv not read 1 thread where anyone actually permanently fixes this problem.
P.S. I also have a Thomson TG585 v7 and that suffers from the exact same problems.
12 REPLIES 12
rodtrotter
Grafter

Re: NAT strict, MW3 PC (yes again)

I am using a netgear router and playing mw3 on pc my nat is not open all the time some days open some days moderate
davidwright6
Dabbler

My NAT has only ever been OPEN using my netgear DG834G v5, but like i said i think it's faulty so i can't use it full time.
davidwright6
Dabbler

LOL as i said before " i can guarantee it will go strict again by tomorrow" scrap that, its gone back to strict again already... this is ridiculous, im sick to death of spending my hard earned money on games and internet services that don't work as they should do. Happy to take peoples money, less so to fix their problems. Can i get just one answer to a seemingly simple question. How/why does the NAT change from OPEN to STRICT when no settings have been changed?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Have you had UPnP turned off on the Thomson router whilst doing all of this? If not, could you please try it turned off?
davidwright6
Dabbler

just tried, didn't make any difference.
joannedavis12

PLEASE HELP i've just changed our provider to Plusnet and we can't take the NAT off strict either it's doing our heads in.  any suggestions anybody. i've done what is says in the link, but will it OPEN the NAT for good cos i don't think i could be bothered changing it every day.  please help before i change my provider im sure i didn't have this trouble with last router  Embarrassed i've followed the links to change it when using a ps3 boo hoo i have a unhappy husband please help
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Does the advice in this page help any?
sonic1

To ensure you always have open NAT use DMZ but make sure you give your device ( ps3 in my case )  a fixed IP.
Depending on your router you can bind the DMZ via the mac address or IP.
I use a Draytek 2080vn but you can do the same with most routers.
Here is an explanation of DMZ from Netgear.
How To Make a DMZ
A router normally stops incoming Internet traffic from getting on your network, unless the traffic is in response to one of your computers or when using port forwarding. But instead of discarding the incoming traffic or using port forwarding, you can send incoming traffic to one computer on your network by establishing a "Default DMZ Server". (DMZ = humorous reference to "Demilitarized Zone".) This avoids you having to figure out what ports an Internet application wants — by throwing all ports open for that computer.
For regular network operation, NETGEAR recommends you do not use a DMZ. A computer with DMZ loses firewall protection, and is exposed to exploits from the Internet. If compromised, your own computer can attack the rest your network. Instead of DMZ, use port forwarding, as described

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

davidwright6 > do you run a lot of bit torrents?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
davidwright6
Dabbler

Hi sorry iv not been on for a while, i have managed to keep my NAT "moderate" most of the time at least, think it only now goes "strict" when my brother is on Modern Warfare 3 also. Iv got Upnp "OFF" and iv tried to manually forward the correct ports. No i don't use torrents alot these days, but i sometimes do? Why should that matter?
davidwright6
Dabbler

Thanks Matt. i did all of that before i opened this thread, it worked temporarily but then returns to strict.  I think i can live with it on "Moderate"  and seems to stay on that now so thanks for your help everyone.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We're working on a solution to this atm. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager