cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ping :s

callumx
Grafter

My ping :s

Hi just recently my ping has got higher ussualy i'd ping 20-30 on uk servers and its went up to like 50-55 :s i have interleaving removed also and one know whats rong?
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My ping :s

Hi there,
Looking at your line profile summary on BTs site there's obviously been some kind of agressive disconnection with a lot of noise - your recorded sync rate has dropped from 5.1mb to 288kbit and as a result the profile dropped from 4.5mb to 250kbit.
Chances are you've fallen victim to the evils of christmas lights - did you decorate the house recently? Electrical interference from these things can severely disrupt your broadband service. If it's not that (you can check by watching the router logs and plugging/unplugging the lights) then I'd check for faulty filters and also anything that might have recently been added to the line (sky+ box for the christmas TV perhaps?) as there's definitely something disrupting the connection.
Hope that helps,
callumx
Grafter

Nope , nothing added no xmas lights up are nothing yet. i don't know whats wrong.. i still have this older router installed since i havn't installed my new one that i got with plus net , think that will help? i also get this bit of lag for like 5 secs its anoying 😕 i don't know what it is. I've had that problem too since being on wireless with plus net. I even get the bit off lag with the ethernet cable plugged in too.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, that will be your new 0.25mbit connection speed slowing everything down. Best bet is to connect the router to the master BT socket (either one, testing with both is a good idea) and unplug everything in all the other phone sockets throughout the house. See if the sync speed is any different then, if it is then something plugged into your phone line is the culprit. Plug things back in one by one and check the sync speed after each one and see if there's any changes.
If nothing changes and the speed is the same with both routers chances are it's a line fault - fill in the forms at http://faults.plus.net and we'll pick this up for you.
Hope that helps,
callumx
Grafter

ok i'll try that , but i'm on 8 meg connection with you guys :s don't know how this has happend but i'll give it ago thanks.
p.s i'll get back to you and let you know what happens.
callumx
Grafter

Hmm this is anoying... i tried doing what u said and there is no difference. I then done a speed test on www.speedtest.net and here was my results http://www.speedtest.net/result/210383164.png ,  very poor..
:<
callumx
Grafter

Yeah i know that i don't expect 8 mb connection lol , its just weird out of know where how this happed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Here is what's happened.
Something has caused a burst of interference on your phone line. Your connection has dropped as a result, and then reconnected at a much lower speed.
This has caused your sync speed to drop from 5mb (your previous connection speed, approximate download speed of 500k a second) to 288kbit (approximate download speed of 25k a second). This is the cause of the longer pings and 5 second delays you mention.
This in turn has caused your line profile, set automatically by your phone exchange, to drop from 4.5mb (again, about 450k a second download) to 250kb (as above, about 25k a second).
This is either caused by something plugged into your phone line (not BTs fault) or a fault on the line (needs to be reported to BT).
Please as above unplug everything except the router from your line and ensure that the router is plugged into the master socket. Check the sync speed. If this is back to the usual speeds of 5000 or so, then one of the items on your phone network is causing interference - plug them back in one by one and see which it is.
If the sync speed remains low, then there's a line fault - again as above please report this to us via http://faults.plus.net
Hope that helps,
James
Grafter

Hi,
In addition to what Matt has said, I've written a lengthy guide on Max and speeds, which you can find in my forum signature.
I hope that you find it useful.