cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must Own Games!

David_W
Rising Star

Must Own Games!

There are certain games that you just *have* to own, or at least have played somewhat, obviously tastes change but there are still games that are going on 20 years old that are still brilliant games.  So, what are your "must own games".
Mine are, in no specific order.
Transport Tycoon - openttd kind of replaces it, adds new stuff but the gameplay is still the same (PC)
Deus Ex - just saying the name makes me want to play it, does seem slow at the start now (PC)
Carnage Heart - a weird game using logic gates to control a robot, fantastic! (PS1)
Harvest Moon - ok, thats personal preference, but there is something satisfying about farming (NDS/PS1/Wii/PSP)
Oblivion - again, personal choice but a major leap forward in graphics and gameplay (PC/Xbox/PS3 - PS3 GOTY is buggy)
Homeworld - fantastic RTS, 3d, one of the best, still a classic these days (PC)
Command and Conquer - another classic RTS, one of the big titles that everyone should have at least played (PC)
SimCity 2000 - you can try Simcity 4 instead, or even 3, not societies though, but SimCity is a must have (PC)
Elite - everyone knows Elite, the joy of turning your ship around and blasting a rocket with your lasers (PC)
X3 Reunion - or X2, like Elite only more up-to-date graphics, space fighting! (PC)
Minesweeper - why not? Tongue
Sensible Soccer - the original and still the best (Mega Drive?)
Final Fantasy - any really, well any except 8 and 10-2 (Lots of different systems)
Suikoden 1&2 - the best RPG ever, bar none, it came out at the same time as FF7 but the story is so much better (PS1)
Gran Turismo 4 - a good solid driving game (PS2)
Resident Evil - the original seems a bit slow these days, code Veronica is nice though
So, do you agree with my list, disagree, have more to add?  I don't have an Xbox/360 so can't really say what games are classics for that system, I have a PS3 but have yet to find a game which can really be "must own", maybe the next FF or Resi Evil will fill that gap, I don't rate Farycry 2 that high, I did like Fable but don't know if I'd consider it a game I'd play in 10 years time.
30 REPLIES 30
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Must Own Games!

2 Frustration games you missed both iirc origionally for Amiga and Atari ST
Worms, turn based bomb your opponent game
Lemmings, get the fur balls too safety using different skills and equipment
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
cpdixon
Dabbler

Hi guys, here is my list. I agree with dgwebb on a few of your choices, some classics.

• Command and conquer... all of them.

• COD 2, 4, 5 (cant take myself away from 5 at the mo  Roll_eyes )

• Worms, used to have this on the Amiga and still despite being so simple is incredibly addictive.

• Deus Ex - Truely must have game! The second one 'Invisible War' whilst looking more graphically up-to-date was no match on the story line for original.

• Earth 2150 - Really good strategy game, fully customisable units and you make and manufacture your own army. Not an easy one to play but good for a LAN session.

• Supreme Commander - Resource intensive game but seems like a re-worked version of Total Annihilation, you can have massive armies roaming around. This is a quad-core hog.

• X3 Reunion - or X2 - Now this is a good choice. You get so wrapped up in the game and is massive, the whole mining and exploring upgrading the works. Shame its only a single player.  (probably due to the time shift thing you can use to speed the game up.)

• Freelancer - if you want to have a mulitplayer space sim/pirating/shoot-em-up this is a good game, looks decent as well.
  • GTA the original is still the best.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Here is a new one - World of Goo http://2dboy.com/games.php - free demo available to try
David_W
Rising Star

How could I forget Lemming and Worms?  The hours spent playing them games, I have a fond memory of worms, I'd recently bought a new PS1 (way back yonder) and bought Worms for it, so my friends (also excited by the game) said to their mother "David has worms!" and she said "oh, I hope he gets better soon"  Grin
Even older, Dizzy, probably the first platformer I ever played, they should bring back the egg.
Street Fighter - that took up a heck of a lot of my 10p's back in '92
The original Need for Speed on the 3DO, the handling was spot on, the PS version ruined it
System Shock - really creepy, but I wouldn't rate Bioshock as a classic
Half Life - Probably Half Life 2 also, both are genre setters
Quake - Maybe doom too
Unreal - Another classic FPS that has survived the test of time
clockley
Grafter

So many games!
The first Resident Evil was amazing, the first Gran Turismo blew me away.  Games weren't meant to look THAT good (at the time, anyway).  Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, GTA 3 was the first game that really totally immersed me, the C&C games, COD4 (stayed up 36 hours straight, as I started playing it after work one night and had to finish it), Worms, PES, Bomberman (esp. on XBox Live), the original Tekken....
I could go on for ages, back to Manic Miner, Harrier Attack....
oplesrope
Grafter

deus ex - best. game. ever.
also, i still love:
  - baldurs gate 1 and 2 (PC)
  - diablo 2 (PC)
  - chrono trigger (SNES)
  - ocarina of time (N64)
  - tetris (GB)
  - alpha centurai (PC)
  - portal (PC)
  - burnout paradise (PS3)
and the obvious, already mentioned final fantasy 7, metal gear solid, half life 2... 
David_W
Rising Star

I have Baldus Gate 2 sitting there infront of me, along with the Throne of Bhal... somewhere, haven't played them in years though.  Was playing Homeworld Cataclysm today and yesterday, and the day before  Crazy
Have you tried the remake of Chrono Trigger on the DS?
oplesrope
Grafter

yes, chrono trigger on ds is still just as good imho -  a port of the PS1 version, same game with a few extra bits but its still great.  glad they didn't 'remake' it like FF3 et al. 
StickyMick
Grafter

If you like RTS, then you could do a lot worse than give golden oldie StarCraft a run. I've got the whole Homeworld series, one of the prettiest RTS games I've seen.
Ground Control is pretty good too (now freeware from fileplanet) Wink
As for the Amiga Digital Integration's Tornado kept me well busy into the wee small hours. Watching the Tornados streak across an airfield from different directions on a bombing mission was awe inspiring. I only wish someone would pick that title up and rework it for todays PCs.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I see no mention of Chuckie Egg, now there is a classic.  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hunchback 1 & 2 Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hungry Horace Goes Skiing..... er...
Barbarian on the C64! 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
David_W
Rising Star

I forgot F.E.A.R. on the PC, that game is terrifying, constant psychological terror!  I tried to get my brother to play it, I went in 20 minutes later asking "why are'nt you playing that game?" and he said "it's too scary!"  a real must have for any PC Owners.  It makes Resident Evil look like a Disney cartoon, I love it Cheesy