Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users logged into games results in disconnect after lag spike

loftybloke
Grafter

Multiple users logged into games results in disconnect after lag spike

Morning
Hopefully someone can shed some light on an issue that my wife and I are suffering.
We each play World of Warcraft, with me recently returning after a long while away. When we are both logged in, there are no issues, however when both of us zone into a dungeon (a lot of content to get from the servers) then there is an increase in latency and we are both disconnected. The broadband subsequently drops out entirely before reconnecting after maybe 2-3 minutes.
We are each able to enter dungeons separately, whilst the other is not logged in, or using the internet. I checked a few places online and have forward some key ports for world of warcraft through respective firewalls.
I've spoken to Plusnet who can see the drop outs in connection and are running some interleaving on our line to see if this solves the issue.
Is this something that sounds like a router issue or some kind of cap on my account perhaps?
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

EDIT: We are on an ADSL line not fibre
22 REPLIES 22
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Multiple users logged into games results in disconnect after lag spike

Is your game client patching while playing or is it fully updated?  Could be why as the game will be hogging your connections speed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
loftybloke
Grafter

No patching Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The broadband subsequently drops out entirely before reconnecting after maybe 2-3 minutes.

When this happens do you notice what the lights on the router are doing?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi Chris
Yes, the 'internet' light blinks, and the broadband light goes off completely and returns after a few minutes. Wifi, and LAN cable lights keep blinking as they usually would.
I have this raised as a ticket currently, if you are able to see? Although I'm not sure if my forum account is linked to my customer one...
Thanks
loftybloke
Grafter

Our issue sounds remarkably similar to the problems experienced by a user here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135459.0.html
loftybloke
Grafter

It's happened three or four separate times this evening for no discernable reason. Are there any checks I should be doing? Sorry, I'm just at a loss for what might be causing this
loftybloke
Grafter

Router status attached.
Currently entirely without the internet and after a half hour wait time I'm told that after the checks performed the DC isn't to do with Warcraft as the disconnects happen at all times throughout the day/ nigh . And its with the support team who will ring me in an undisclosed amount of time.
Unsatisfactory experience with support thus far Sad
Gus
Aspiring Pro

If you are loosing connection then first test is your phone line, put a corded phone into the master test socket and dial 17070 option 2 and listen for a minute, any crackling/hissing and you phone line needs fixed by who ever provides it, which directly affects ADSL stability.
If your phone is fine, try your router in the master test socket and disconnect any phone extensions if you have any.  If still the same try with a  different router cable to the phone socket and ideally if you have one another router.
If its fine in master socket, then your wiring could be at fault
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi Gus thanks for your reply
The phone line is fine, and we've been connected to the master socket since I reported the aukt on the third and its made no differenc .
Interestingly I received an email this morning saying that interleaving has been turned on despite being told that this was done on Saturday
Cheers
Gus
Aspiring Pro

It can take BT a while to turn interleaving on, which was going to be my next question.  The CRC errors from the attached stats were high, but depends on how long those stats were from.  Interleaving is usually turned on to help with them, but if you get more of them then they might have to do some tweaking to your connection to help lower them.
edit: saw this ages ago but its the rule of thumb I use http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3621.0
with no interleaving in a 5min period <60-100 crc & hec errors is acceptable
with interleaving <1000 crc & hec errors are ok and up to 14000 rs errors
loftybloke
Grafter

Thanks Gus
I'll try and get another set of figures when I get home tonight from the router. The above stats were taken after our 5th or 6th disconnect yesterday evening if that helps?
Is interleaving the permanent fix then? I'm sceptical about the added latency i've been warned about.
A friend of mine said that the line could be resynced somehow?  I'm reluctant to spend another half hour on hold to speak to someone, and responses to my help tickets are none existent so far.
Sorry to be so pesimistic!
loftybloke
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
It can take BT a while to turn interleaving on, which was going to be my next question.  The CRC errors from the attached stats were high, but depends on how long those stats were from.  Interleaving is usually turned on to help with them, but if you get more of them then they might have to do some tweaking to your connection to help lower them.
edit: saw this ages ago but its the rule of thumb I use http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3621.0
with no interleaving in a 5min period <60-100 crc & hec errors is acceptable
with interleaving <1000 crc & hec errors are ok and up to 14000 rs errors

My CRC stats dont look good then? 😕
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

This is going to sound a bit stupid, but can you refrain from updating the support ticket? There's a bug that means if you update it then it'll move to the back of the queue.
Your line does seem to be dropping out more than I'd expect, did you go through the steps we outlined on the fault ticket? Connecting to the master socket (test socket if possible), different filter?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi Chris,
That does sound stupid, but without being funny, is there a better way to give you new information that doesn't involve being on hold for half an hour to be given a new set of conflicting information?
I don't mean to be snippy if that's how I've come across, but this is frustrating to say the least Smiley
I've been connected to the master/test socket (faceplate unscrewed, whichever that is) via a new filter since the issue was raised on the 3rd Smiley