cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More ping spike issues in League and now Rift.

KhromeHound
Grafter

More ping spike issues in League and now Rift.

Well, this was gone for a while, Its recently started again. Its seems to be midnight and up to a few hours after it, this may actually be a signal dropping as well, as just a few minutes ago my LoL patching dropped down to 0kb/s for a minute or so for no real reason.
My download speed has also fallen down from the average 250 Kb/s I was getting, to at peak, 220Kb/s and at worst, around 130Kb/s. - Honestly while this download speed isn't that bad it is somewhat annoying when your connection decides to misplace around 100KB/s somehow.
The connection speed being low however I can adjust to, but just after midnight I've been frequently experiencing high ping spikes randomly on LoL, a few of which result in a reconnecting, which with how bad LoLs reconnecting is, puts me out of game for at least a minute or so. - Rift was also utterly impossible to play yesterday as my connection would drop the second I attempted to do anything.
My apologies for starting a new thread, but when I mentioned this in my other thread which is now on page 2 of the gaming area with about 26 odd replies, I didn't get a response and that was over a month ago now.
I would like to mention that once again, these issues seem to be unique to games, my Skype calls for example very very rarely lag out during these colossal ping spikes, and call quality doesn't seem to drop during it. - While this may sound like server trouble, and EUW LoL is well known for server trouble (seriously, google it, its bad) there was nothing messing up for anyone else in pretty much all of these matches.
So, any ideas for a cause and/or fix of these issues?
On top of this, if possible, would there be any way to increase my upload speed or is it currently pretty much as good as its going to get? - I ask because I would like to look in streaming at some point, but when issues pile up like this that does seem to become something of a dream.
4 REPLIES 4
LordHunter

Re: More ping spike issues in League and now Rift.

Well connection apart haven't they been doing massive amounts of maintenance/changes pre-season?
All4One
Grafter

EUW was known for poor service but I believe they got their new data center in Amsterdam in June running which improved things.
I haven't been on for 2-3 weeks (WoW related symptoms) but I haven't had issues for months (dating back to my own router issues and prior to that, server issues before amsterdam was live)
Wireless/wired?
How many people or devices using connection?
KhromeHound
Grafter

Well I had a response and it just failed to send so thats fun. Damn.
This issue pre-dates the pre-season by at least two months, probably more.
This topic was actually started before the pre-season too. - So while the pre-season may be involved in other bugs and stuff, I find it unlikely it was the cause of these ping issues before we were even in pre-season Tongue
Wireless - I cannot use wired where I am however, too far away, + up a stair case.
I did try wired/wireless difference with my old laptop and it only makes a 20 KB/s difference, ping issues remained present.
Just me, - Phone & computer, though phone goes off when I'm on LoL. There is literally nothing else in this house bar an Off Xbox that has been connected to the internet.
EUW is indeed still known for it, recently a PVP.net issue has started cropping up, if you check EUW general discussion, you'll see a few threads at least posted the day prior to this post, about PVP.net failed to connect, Firewall issues, etc. - One of them stated that the issue might be related to using BT or their supplied wires under other companies, this could be onto something as I know mine is provided by plusnet, but they do use BT wires here. - Of course this could simply be Coincidence as BT is pretty big. (I have been having this mentioned issue recently)
I'm certain the ping issue is on my end, not Riots however, in pretty much every time its occurred, it was just me, and 99% of that time, there was no maintenance going on during/after the match, or at least announced maintenance. - While I say 99%, I would say 100%, but its EUW. There is maintenance going on at least once every few weeks.
The fault here ^ would seem to be on Riots end as this is not an isolated issue however, lots of players complaining. And it happens to occur the second the new leaver-buster is put out. Wonderful, false bans for all. - After all, its hard to automatically differentiate between someone who has just spent 12 odd minutes reconnecting to actually get into a match in ARAM, and someone simply trying to reconnect to avoid leaver-buster.
On top of this, lately loading a video or a new web-page has previously crashed or just lagged out my Skype calls (Not during a match, just generically while talking to someone) Worth noting I only ever load videos @ 360p or lower, as to avoid this kind of thing, but that doesn't seem to be working. - Very curious, as I can download a game via steam with about 60-80% of my current speed and not have lag issues during a game, and only have my ping go up about 10-20.
Anyone had this issue or anything similar/ knows a fix?
Sorry if this reply seems rushed, but I did just lose a rather large one for no real reason so, I'm trying to make sure this one posts.
All4One
Grafter

Just because you speedtest with similar results, doesn't necessarily mean the wireless is working fine.
I'd highly suggest getting a 20m ethernet cable off ebay for about 3quid or power line adapters, pref first option, even if it's to test with for a day or week.