Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modern Warfare 3 - Strict NAT

aledlewis1
Dabbler

Modern Warfare 3 - Strict NAT

Hi all,
I'm getting the impression that this isn't exactly an original thread, but hopefully someone will be able to help me. I've recently started playing MW3, but my NAT type is almost always shown as 'strict', which seems to cause lag and problems finding games. I managed to solve this for MW3 by opening ports on the router, and by disabling 'extended security' as I saw hinted on this forum.
Anyway, I've tried the instructions, here:
http://community.plus.net/library/uncategorized/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg5...
(Adding a 'saveall' at the end as I also saw noted.)
However, this has not helped. I've tried opening the ports up that I believe MW3 uses, but still to no avail. I'm using the Thompson TG585 v8. I have another router, a linksys, that I've used for a while and that always results in my NAT type showing as 'open'. However this other router seems to have other faults and needs a reboot several times a day, which is why I switched back to the Thompson.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aled
16 REPLIES 16
rodtrotter
Grafter

Re: Modern Warfare 3 - Strict NAT

Turn off the firewall in the router settings also make sure that the upnp is turned on
sputnik

I have the same problem with mw3 on ps3. my nat type was open since i got the game when it was released but now it is strict all the time since about 3 days ago  and i cant really play it online now because of the lag and bad connection. i havent changed anything it just suddenly changed to strict. i have now tried everything above but its still the same nothing seems to help. ive got thomsom tg585 v7.
NEED SOME HELP PLEASE
aledlewis1
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Rod. I'll give it a go. As a long-term solution though I'd rather not leave the firewall off. If it's the firewall that's causing it then surely there must be some configuration that can mitigate the problem.
aledlewis1
Dabbler

I've tried turning the firewall off, but it didn't help for some reason. Unless of course it takes more than the couple of minutes / PC reboot  that I gave it to apply, or needs a router reboot. I'll try again later.
LeeM

Right I am really getting p-ed off with this: When you say
You are now logged into the command line interface of the router.
Copy and paste the following commands into the window.
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
Do you put the commands in telnet or in the bar at the top, as this seems to bring up stuff in google can some one please give me a idiot guy for this. might still not working and i dont really get it
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The commands need pasting in to the telnet window that's open. It should be a black background with white text.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi LeeM,
I can do it remotely for you if you're having a problem with that.
Jojo Smiley
mac31uk

Hi Jojo,
could you possibly doit remotely for me please.
i had it done already, but somehow it has went back to strict - and the router has never been off.
would really appreciate it - and any advice on how to keep it open.
ta very muckle
lindon
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mac31uk,
Welcome to the forums. That's done for you now.
Jojo Smiley
mac31uk

Cheers jojo,
any idea why it changed back? or how to stop it changing?
thanks again
me.
mac31uk

Hi jo,
just went onto mw3 andit still says the nat is strict?? Cry
any help please Embarrassed :-[.
thanks again
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mac31uk,
If you're running torrents then you need to stop them and reboot the router. This will sort it.
Jojo Smiley
DavidLV92

I can't even get into a game on mw3 on my xbox because of the NAT type being strict, how do i manage to change it to open because I have never had strict NAT before its always been open until a couple days ago can someone please help.......
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Try the steps here:
http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.