Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderate NAT - Tried everything!!

northernmonkey
Dabbler

Moderate NAT - Tried everything!!

Evening
I pay for a Plusnet Pro connection at £20 a month believing it would be the best package for gaming. I'm beginning to think it is a waste of money and to be honest I am seriously considering leaving plusnet.
Basically, I am trying everything to get an 'open' NAT on my xbox live connection but every time I test it it comes back 'moderate'.
I have a Netgear DGN2200 router and so far I have tried:
Reserving the xbox ip to be static
forwarded all recommended ports for xbl
opened NAT filtering from secure
assigned my xbox ip as a default DMZ server
checked MTU is correct
entered manual network settings within the xbox itself
assigned the xbox plusnets DNS server addresses etc (this has reverted back now as it made no difference)
There is nothing else I can do within the router itself to sort this so I am beginning to think this is a Plusnet issue and nothing I do will sort this at my end.
If somebody from Plusnet could advise I would be grateful because this issue is likely going to make me leave which I don't really want to do as the service is generally very good.
I would even try the plusnet Thomson router but I am not willing to pay for this as it may not even solve the problem plus I should not have to use a specific router to get an open NAT on xbl.
If anyone else has any ideas I would be more than happy to hear them
Thanks all
16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Moderate NAT - Tried everything!!

Have you tried turning off the Plusnet Firewall at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall if it's enabled?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
northernmonkey
Dabbler

Hi
I had already checked that out after seeing it being mentioned in my research of this problem. It is currently set to 'Off'
Thanks for the suggestion though : )
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The Technicolor 585s we supply handle it ok.  We've got a guide up for setting it up here:  http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...
The problem is likely the style of NAT that the Netgear routing is doing.  You need it configured for Cone NAT, rather than Symetrical NAT.  This link may help as well:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/p/157383/821760.aspx#821760
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/p/177411/927064.aspx#927064
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=18457
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
northernmonkey
Dabbler

Hi Kelly
Thank you very much for the links. I will work through them and report back.
Cheers
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI northernmonkey,
If you have any difficulty doing this then let me know and I can do this remotely for you.
Jojo Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: northernmonkey
I have a Netgear DGN2200 router ...

Is a remote fix possible when the router is not a Plusnet supplied one?
David
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Nope, I'm afraid not - sorry about that, I think Jojo missed that bit.
northernmonkey
Dabbler

To be honest I'm struggling with this.
Whilst informative I have tried most of what is written in the articles to no avail. The PPPoe filter thing is one thing I have not tried but the netgear page doesn't tell you how to do this and having a good search of my router has drawn a blank.
It may be easier if Plusnet supply me with their supported router to see if that works. I'm running out of options and frankly I'm getting fed up! haha!
Cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi northernmonkey,
That won't be a problem, would you be able to log in to the website and add card details so we can take the £4.99 delivery charge please? The remaining £40 can either be paid up front or we can defer it for you, if deferred it'll only be payable if you leave within 12 months of getting the router.
northernmonkey
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Thanks for that. I have added card details so that amount can be debited. Please defer the £40 charge. Please despatch the router ASAP if everything is ok.
However, can I just say that I have never had the supplied router from yourselves and I have been with Plusnet for 2 years. Therefore I am being penalised for not having it from the outset because if I had, I would have gone way past the point where I would be required to pay the £40 if I left. Therefore I don't see why this charge should be applicable to myself.
Kind Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With the greatest respect, it was your choice not to order the router at that time - you're getting exactly the same deal any customer would when ordering one, whether at the point of signup or at any other time.
I just tried to call as we need to verify the security code on the card in order to take the payment, is there a good time to call later on today to do this at all? That way we'll be able to get it dispatched today and it should arrive before the weekend.
northernmonkey
Dabbler

Hi Matt
I wasn't offered a router when signing up to be honest but not to worry.
Please call at any time to sort out the payment detail.
Many Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much for that, I've ordered the router for you so it'll get sent out today and should be with you most likely Friday morning, Saturday at the latest.
Hope it sorts things out for you, if we can help or there's any problems please let us know.
flaminmoses
Grafter

I have this too.
Im also on pro.
but from what i have read on gameing forums moderate means OK.
On cod my nat is "open"
on fifa 12 it says moderate yet the gameplay is not laggy online....especially on clubs
H"H can be but i belive thats based on p2p where as clubs is server hosted.