cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minecraft Port Forwarding dilemma due to Sky router - Can Ubuntu Help?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Minecraft Port Forwarding dilemma due to Sky router - Can Ubuntu Help?

Hi there
This is a bit of a sticky one on behalf of a work colleague, and I'm not sure if there's an answer.
Jim has installed a Ubuntu server at home to run his Minecraft server on.  Now he wants to be able to access it from work so he can play on his server during lunch.
There's no legal issues here, but our corporate firewall appears to throttle traffic on non-standard ports (presumably to prevent things like sneaky torrenting).  So we can connect to external Minecraft servers but they're unplayable.  Whole chunks of landscape fail to render, and more often than not you appear in the map and find yourself falling down a world hole.  You then generally get a connection error.
I've proved that this is our company's firewall by forwarding port 80 to port 25565 on my own Netgear router, and I can now play on my server at lunch and all is fine.  Port 80 isn't throttled on our corporate firewall, but any "high" ports are.
Unfortunately Jim can't do this, as he has a Sky router which only allows him to forward the same port.  So he can only  forward 25565 to 25565.  Yes he can forward 80 to 80, but he can't run his server on a lower port because Minecraft won't bind to ports lower than 1024...and our firewall throttles anything above 1024.
I don't know much about Ubuntu, but would it be possible to configure his server to somehow translate incoming traffic on port 80 (for example) to port 25565, so that his Sky router would see traffic from his Minecraft server as originating on port 80?
Other solutions like a) hacking his Sky router, b) altering the Corporate Firewall  and c)  buying a new router are not an option.
Cheers
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
1 REPLY 1
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Re: Minecraft Port Forwarding dilemma due to Sky router - Can Ubuntu Help?

I might just have found my own answer.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/104824/port-forward-to-a-port-on-the-same-machine
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.