cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major gaming problems

Den
Grafter

Major gaming problems

Hello wonder if anyone can help, Up until roughly a week ago my gaming was ok but now Its almost impossible to get a game to play for more than a couple of minutes, will try to explain myself as best as I can.
These experinces I'm encountering are on both Gaming platforms which is Playstation network and Xbox live. I first noticed that when it disconnects for either networks I can't reconnect even though I still have internet connection on my on my laptop or ipad?
After many countless times of being disconnected an observation I made is that the router which is a tenchicolour the internet and wifi light flashes rapidly as though there is a lot of activity downloading/uploading etc, when in reality I'm the only one home and no-one and I mean no-one is accessing the internet when the lights are rapidly flashing I can't connect either the Xbox or PS3 until the lights stop flashing and then It is pot luck when I do reconnect how before the lights start flashing again and I get disconnected in turn I have to wait approximately 20 to 30 minutes for the router lights to calm down before I can reconnect and gaming could last then between 20 seconds to maybe 30 minutes if lucky it like I'm being capped but when I check on my laptop during the mad router lights flashing I can connect to the internet for browsing etc on my laptop or ipad but the game consoles won't connect to the internet?
Was advised by Plusnet staff to change my channel which I have but still encounting the same problem.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Den.
12 REPLIES 12
Den
Grafter

Re: Major gaming problems

Anybody having these same problems? Any technical plusnet staff on the forum that could help me please?
Thanks in advance.
Den.
Dhaos
Grafter

Doubt you will get a response from plusnet until tuesday (Bank holiday weekend), unless any pop in on their spare time.
Den
Grafter

Think your probably right reported this on the 25th did get a response a couple of days agom telling me to changed wifi channels which I did but to no avail, reported this back to them and  still heard nothing was originally reported to them on the 21st  then raised the 2nd ticket on the 25th hope a member of staff on here sees it and maybe help?
Thanks
Den.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just taken a look at your line and can't see anything from a fault perspective on your line that would be causing any gaming issues.
The Wireless and Internet light are quite alright to flash, this is explained in detail in the User Guide that comes with your router. Do you experience lag when playing games or frequent disconnections?
Den
Grafter

Hello Chris,
I understanding the flashing lights on the router, it's when I'm the only  person home  and no other device logged onto the network  so no activity as such normally you would not see the flashing light Internet and wifi lights in question flashes when one one is using the Internet but several times a day the router flashes like mad as though it downloading large amount of data when no one only myself is at home and not using any devices including the console, It when this happens that i get disconnected or can't connect to Xbox live Playstation network, after approx 20/30 mins when the flashing stop on the router I can then connect to ps network or Xbox live then I might be ok for 10 min or even upto 2 hours if lucky then the problem arising again. Also yes I do get lag when playing black ops 2 on ps3
Hope this makes sense and really appreicate all your help.
Thanks
Den.
Dhaos
Grafter

Try using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html to rule out the wireless light flashing like mad to see if any data is actually being downloaded.
Den
Grafter

Thanks Dhaos will try that tomorrow on my ipad at the moment.
Thanks.
Den.
Den
Grafter

Just another point even if unless someone as hacked my network I thought gaming gets priority over downloading also just to add I get 100% signal from console to network wireless.
Den.
Dhaos
Grafter

I had a problem once with my router "locking up" had to reboot it as none of my devices could connect, turned out i had set my torrent software to allow to many connections. If you *have* been hacked and they are using it for torrents then something like this could be the reason. Or the games your playing could have the wrong priority set (like one of my games was a month ago)
Den
Grafter

Forgive me not sure whar torrent software is only use the Internet for browsing the wife facebook, I use the Internet mainly for gaming and Internet browsing with the occional music e download.
Game setting I basically only play black ops 2 on ps3 and pure on Xbox never had problems until the last week never heard of game settings more than willing to learn about these also.
I honestly do appreicate all your input especially if it solve my gaming problems.
Thanks
Den
Dhaos
Grafter

The game settings is all plusnets side so nothing for you to worry about, torrents are programs used for sharing files, run the thinkbroadband tool tomorrow and see if it shows any amount of downloading/uploading tomorrow.
Den
Grafter

Have downloaded to laptop  Smiley  will have to wait for my router to start going crazy before I can tell if any data is being download at the moment zero is happening as I only browsing the plusnet forums,
will keep you updated.
Thanks again.
Den.