cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MW3 PS3 lag issues since switching to PN Fibre but only after midnight

Cushdy78
Dabbler

Re: MW3 PS3 lag issues since switching to PN Fibre but only after midnight

I had planned on having a night off!! I'll have a chat to the other half and see what i can arrange!?  Undecided
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

No, don't worry.  Just post when you were next gaming and let us know how it was and make sure we can see a ping graph.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

When you next game, and just prior to when you see your lag. Would you be able to grab a wireshark when your gaming is good and when it is bad.
A guide on this can be found here.
You'd need to enter some telnet commands prior to the capture so we get the traffic from the PS3;
Plug the PS3 in port 2 and your PC in port 3
Telnet to the router and log in, details will normally be the following unless you've changed them:
telnet 192.168.1.254
u/n admin
p/w serial number of the router found on the bottom
enter the following commands:
:eth switch mirror capture port 3
:eth switch mirror ingress port 2 state enabled
:eth switch mirror egress port 2 state enabled
If you then start Wireshark it should capture from the PS3.
If you want to leave this permanently set up then you can run the command
saveall
Cushdy78
Dabbler

Is it only traffic relating to the PS3 that you wish to look at, or would you like mew capture everything on my network? I could obviously filter out the other IP address'. The reason I ask is because the PC is churning out page after page of info!!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The important data is the PS3 info. Try tuning everything else off when you have lag to see if this helps your connection, it probably won't but this will at least eliminate them.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

When you do the capture could you have a look at the source IP addresses, you'll probably see either a central server or the IPs of the people you're playing against. If you could pick a couple of the ones that seem to be appearing the most and run a tracert to them that might help. We've got some performance data for your exchange and we can see patterns of increased latency just after midnight like you're seeing but would be good to tie that in too.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Cushdy78
Dabbler

I got loads of lag last night which can be seen from the graph! I also did a wireshark and noticed that dispite the router having ALL devices set up with static up addresses, it assigned them incorrectly! I played like that for maybe an hour or so unaware!! Once I turned all the conflicting devices off and back on again, hey presto, no lag!! This can also be seen on the graph!
Although this may seem weird, I suspect this was caused by me plugging another PC into a switch by the PS3 yesterday afternoon. I think that me plugging/unplugging cables has somehow caused the router to become "confused" with its IP address allocation.
On a positive note, after speaking with a PN rep who told me to forward ports to my PS3 it appears the main lag issue may have gone.
I am concerned though as I have 3 PS3's in the house (the other 2 belong to my sons). I have selfishly forwarded the ports to MY PS3. They don't tend to play late at night, but they do play during the day at weekends and have also complained of lag! Any solutions for this?Huh
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

So, lag was being caused by the conflicting IP assignments?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Cushdy78
Dabbler

I think there are two issues:
1. Ports needed to be forwarded on the router.
2. The router last night assigned the wrong IP address to the PS3 last night, and hence ports were not being forwarded to it.
This still does not resolve the issue for all PS3's in the house though! I suspect that the other two will be displaying strict NAT types and experieencing lag when my boys play at the weekend. We shall evaluate over the next few days and report back any findings.
Also, I cannot see any IP addresses to ping or tracert from the wireshark output.
Mathias
Grafter

Just a quick suggestion that you may want to try to help out for your sons' PS3s, although note that i'm a bit of an amateur in internet setup, how about putting their PS3s in the DMZ, that way you don't need to assign specific ports on them as it will open all of them? It can also be termed "assign a public IP address" if you can't find the  term DMZ within the GUI.
I have the Thomson 587v7 router and have found it to be very temperamental to use, with it often forgetting settings you have just changed or just randomly rebooting whilst altering settings before they are even complete. When fibre comes shortly i'm going to invest in a better router as i have no confidence in the ones Plusnet distribute.
Cushdy78
Dabbler

I too have little to no confidence in the router supplied. As far as I'm aware, you can only place one IP address in the DMZ. At least that's the implication in the GUI.
I am toying with the idea of buying a Netgear R6300. Trouble is that it's over £150 and I suspect that if I then experience any issues, the PN will blame the router setup and will not support me in finding a solution!
I have over 20 devices in my house that connect to the router (not all of them at once of course) and I think that this cheap-looking one supplied by PN is struggling to cope. I was also told on the phone that most branded routers have many ports open ready for things such as gaming, whereas the one supplied has the majority of ports closed as it's apparently only really designed for basic users who want to check emails and browse the web??!! I don't know if I was just being fobbed-off or what, but find it slightly antiquated having to use telnet to program it!! I'd never even heard of telnet until a couple of weeks ago!!
Cushdy78
Dabbler

And here we go again!!
No change to any settings where I thought the issue had disappeared. All IP's assigned correctly. Just plain lag AGAIN!!
BTW I now have a wireshark capture of this...what do you want me to do with it?? I cannot see any IP addresses to tracert.
Cushdy78
Dabbler

Speedtest result here:
Cushdy78
Dabbler

Also, I've just noticed that there is a whole page of events mentioned under security in the event log of the Technicolor router. I have saved a png of this, but it contains my ip address and therefore not keen to post here.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could you attach the wireshark as a zip file to a ticket?
As you've got 20 devices connected to your router it's certainly worth disconnecting all of the devices and then try the ones where you've been experiencing issues with on their own.
EDIT - I'd also suggest turning off the port forwarding on the PS3's as they could be conflicting each other and see if this makes a difference.