cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new FPS...

Abraham99

Looking for a new FPS...

I recently beat FEAR which I loved, I have COD2 that I never beat but I got kinda tired of that, I was thinking of picking up quake 4, its only $20, but is the single player mode good? Its going to be hard to top FEAR buy any recommendations? Oh rainbow six vegas was another one I was thinking of.
31 REPLIES 31
pdavidson
Grafter

Re: Looking for a new FPS...

Are we talking PC or console? My biggest FPS addiction on console lately was Rainbow 6 Vegas on the 360. It's worth trading your first born for.
Seriously! I traded mine for Chuckie Egg but I should really have waited for this Wink
Nico59

If you are looking for a PC game, I recommend you Halo 2 (Vista), or another great game - Area51
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you are going PC i would have to say both Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142!
Both are online but addictive and enjoyable once you get into them.
If you are looking for single player then Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl has a good story although its a little rough around the edges due to the Russion to English conversion.
Myself i have just picked up CounterStrike Source......Its taking some getting used to but is already awesome! Grin
dkeys
Dabbler

I would have to second Adam on counter strike source its one of the all time greats it is more of a multi player game.  Me Adam and chris will be around in the near future and would be happy to grab a quick game.
Rainbow six Vegas also gets my vote as a great single player and multi player on the xbox 360 or pc.
Would probably suggest taking a look at  http://uk.ign.com/ for some more inspiration. Wink
cpdixon
Dabbler

3rd the counter stike source movement.
Absoluty amazing game, damn hard to master though.
Would be a good one to keep slogging at until you are a pro.
2142 is one of the best looking multiplayer FPS games going at the moment highly recommend it.
mattroberts
Dabbler

It's all about Day of Defeat Source for me! Like counterstrike, but better for playability due to constant respawn. No waiting if someone gets a lucky head shot on you Wink Oh, and it's a WWII mod. Kicks ass in realism.
Another Steam classic and second most popular mod after Counter Strike Source.
wolverine
Dabbler

My top game at the moment has to be Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars though its not a FPS. Its so addictive, i just cant seem to stop playing.
Second has to be Counter Strike: Source however I am not too good on that (yet), which is why its second place not first.
I do like Halo 2 but i have to admit its been about a year since I played it, can anyone tell me if the Vista version of Halo 2 differs at all from the XP version?
Mike
polariscon
Dabbler

Battlefield 2142 - most tactical FPS in the world.
[glow=green,3,300]I recommend absolutely [/glow]
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Battlefield 2142 - most tactical FPS in the world.

Very good game from the little I have played, I've been getting back in to Americas Army recently - awesome game considering it's free!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Based on the game's he's mentioned I'm going assume it's the Xbox 360 he's on about, although I know it could easily be a PC.
I would recommend Call Of Duty 3 on the 360, especially the online multiplayer which is really good (despite some glitches and flaws). The "War" mode is particularly good fun whereby each team has to get to a flag on the map and hold it for a length of time before moving on to another. This is excellent as it focuses the action in specific areas as teams or individuals race to the flag in question. Games can see-saw as the balance of power sways and it's very enjoyable.
The single player side pales a bit in my opinion and lacks the atmosphere that made CoD2 so good. It's a bit bitty and doesn't feel as coherent and the campaign in CoD2. Still th emuliplayer really adds longevity.
I also have Quake 4 for the 360 but have yet to play it apart from the Demo and a handful of online games. My impressions are that it's lacking online support (no downloadable maps etc) and there are much less people playing online compared to CoD3. The single player game (based on the demo) was good, kind of old fashioned run and gun - just go around blasting the hell out of everything. I enjoyed it, but have yet to get into the game. On the plus side, Quake 4 on 360 comes with a full version of Quake 2 on another disc which has split screen multiplayer (sadly missing from Q4).
You mentioned it was $20, are you not in the UK? I assumed Plus Net's service was UK based?
And Chuckie Egg rocked!
Rigga
Grafter

Have you tried Far Cry, it's a very good single player PC FPS game, also the ultimate single player PC game is Half Life / Half Life2.
HTH.
R.
clockley
Grafter

I have heard that Raimbow 6, LV is very good, and will be picking it up soon, however, SOCOM is very good, I loved GR:AW on the 360, and the darkness is getting very good reviews.
Carl L
(Dedicated PSP gamer)
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

How could I forget about Half-Life.
The upcoming HL2 Orange Box on 360 should be amazing, and excellent value with all that's included.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just recently bought and completed HL2 single player, reckon I'm about 3/4's of the way through episode 1, so I should be ready for the next release.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.