cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

League of legends, high ping

Viper81

Re: League of legends, high ping

For reference, I'm in the TW20 area. Pings/traceroutes to the server (live.lol-europe.com) are fine when I'm having the problem and other internet traffic is also ok which leads me to believe the traffic shaping rules have gone a bit wrong for this game.
Friends who are playing in the same game who are in the local area (so routing to the game server should be relatively similar) have normal pings of around 35ms which is what mine used to be a few days ago.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Doing a trace today just before this post too the euro servers @ live.lol-europe.com, I see issues with level3, some too a lot of packetloss on level3 atm.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
scootie
Grafter

things seem ok from this none PN connection, hop 14,15 seem to not respond to icmp packets
Viper81

Yup, my ping is always fine as well, even at the times I'm having severe lag which is what lead me to believe that the problem was with the traffic shaping for the game traffic. I've got a case open with plusnet now and after a lot of effort persuading them that it's not my upload or download speed that's the issue (or my microfilters or router etc) they've asked me to send a wireshark capture through.
scootie
Grafter

do you know what your doing with wireshark, if not have a look here or i will run you through the process. dont let the capture run for to long as i think its 4mb max file attachment on tickets
edit. forgot the linky yet again
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I don't play this game, I have just done a traceroute and ping test to live.lol-europe.com,
the pings look OK, but there is a big delay in the traceroute at PlusNet !, although Bob explains why here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87128.msg722580.html#msg722580
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The higher figure in that hop is nothing to worry about., basically that's because the router it's passing through prioritises other traffic ahead of ICMP (ping) traffic hence the slowdown.
I can see the wireshark capture is now with the correct team to take a look and find out what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
swider
Dabbler

I started playing it again, and what was the problem 2 weeks ago is still a problem, after 21:30 - 22:00, my latency changes from 30-40ms to something that is really hard to describe, it is between second and few seconds. I raised the tickets and was told that nothing can be done about it, there is some conflict with jabber client.
robevans89
Dabbler

I'm getting ridiculously high ping, the game is just unplayable. It's only ever in the evening, first game of the evening today ive just started and any action I take in the game has a 2 seconds delay before anything happens.
Edit: wireshark log attached, not sure if I did it right but it might be useful.
nakop

Exactly the same problem I have...ok till around 9pm-10pm where it suddenly starts lagging with a 2+ second delay
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our Networks Team have investigated this and it seems that the ports that Leagues of Legends uses are the same as for Jabber (an instant messaging service). Unfortunately we can't define two services on the same ports so it is prioritised as gold, hence seeing some slowdowns during peak hours.
Has anyone tried playing it on European servers? Can you use an alternate port range?
robevans89
Dabbler

I'm on EU servers, at some point the eu league of legends changed hands from GOA to Riot Games so I dunno if the servers are in america or anything.
Looking at http://kb.leagueoflegends.com/questions/27/Required+Network+Ports the game client doens't use jabber ports (unless i've read up wrong, 5222?).
swider
Dabbler

Why cannot you change priority for jabber? I don't think that many people are using it anyway, plus instant messaging doesn't affect traffic that much.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've asked the question, I'll get back to you when I have an answer.
Edit: If you can provide a Wireshark capture, starting just before you load the game and we'll see if we can create a signature from that.
robevans89
Dabbler

This is really really awful  Angry
I'll try doing another wireshark when I get the chance.