cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

League of Legends Packet Loss

Oscar5
Hooked

League of Legends Packet Loss

I've noticed a few threads on packet loss with regards to league of legends. I hadn't played the game for about a year, have come back to it now and noticed major packet loss on random games. Like a couple games can be pretty bad with packet loss but the one after could be fine for the most part. My ping is either 20ms or 21ms, usually on the 20ms it's fine but when it's 21ms I seem to experience more packet loss issues. Through my limited knowledge could it be that i'm being routed differently to the league of legends server when on 21ms? I tried a ping test through cmd for an increased duration of time and received 0% packet loss. I haven't noticed any problems with other games and I stream on twitch quite a lot (I haven't been streaming league of legends so that's not the cause). I tried one of league of legends diagnostic tools to see how much packet loss I received during the game and it told me my rating was at 47%, solely due to packet loss. The recommendation for a decent connection is 90%+ so obviously somethings up with my connection and the game in particular. Any other tests I can run to help determine what's going on? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

10 REPLIES 10
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: League of Legends Packet Loss

I'm trying to remember how LoL works.  Does it have game servers, or is each match hosted on one of the players?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oscar5
Hooked

It has it's own game servers which you connect to. According to the tests they provide plus net has the worse packet loss out of all ISP's in the UK, with their servers. I've never experienced problems like it with another game.

Oscar5
Hooked

I should also add I'm going straight through the modem without using a router. I had a whole bunch of problems in the past while using the router provided with games in general. 

Kelly
Hero

@Oscar5 wrote:

It has it's own game servers which you connect to. According to the tests they provide plus net has the worse packet loss out of all ISP's in the UK, with their servers. I've never experienced problems like it with another game.

Where are you seeing that?  Can we see the same data?

Kelly Dorset
Oscar5
Hooked

https://imgur.com/a/9FY3R

E
dit: I believe copy and pasting the link works, for some reason clicking on it doesn't. I could do the lag report again if you want as well to show the results of that! 

Kelly
Hero

Yeah, grab that lag report please

Kelly Dorset
Oscar5
Hooked

Unfortunately I'm getting slightly different results than when I tried the test a few days ago, it also showed me the results for plusnet specifically last time but now it seems to be included in the BT result. 

https://imgur.com/a/9FY3R

I've added it to that. Thanks for the response on this by the way, I noticed you had helped someone else on a similar issue a while back haha! 

Kelly
Hero

Hmm. It would be great to see a Plusnet version of that. I f you could try again a couple of times after a router reboot?

edit: Just found this: https://lagreport.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/ but I can't find PN on it yet.

Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

I've managed to see a PN result on there.  TBH it's showing comparable results with the other ADSL based providers like BT, Talktalk etc so I'm not sure it's telling us anything.

Are you only seeing problems with LoL?   Is any other gaming (or whatever) slow or laggy?

Kelly Dorset
Oscar5
Hooked

Only seeing this on LoL, during this time I've been trying a VPN out and it's made it a little more consistent but with spouts of worse packet loss than before