cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laggy Gaming.

watts320
Dabbler

Laggy Gaming.

Im having trouble with my internet. On my laptop its fine, loads quick and how it should be.
When am gaming on me xbox one, its laggy and slow. My friend said he has no problem, although he is on Virgin. But Xbox Service says everything is fine and up and running.
So is there a problem with PN at moment?
9 REPLIES 9
GeordieMark
Grafter

Re: Laggy Gaming.

Is your xbox wired or wireless?
ghos7em1
Grafter

same for me and other gamers,xbox 360 downloads are slow games are laggy  Angry
KhromeHound
Grafter

Do you use Wireless or Wired connection for your Xbox?
Because if its Wireless, the adapter could be messing up, though I've never heard of such a thing, the Xbox tend to mess up before the adapters from most of what I've heard/experienced xD.
If you can, try a wired connection, generally speaking wired is stronger then wireless and tends towards being faster + if you tried a wired connection & it works, the fault is likely the Xbox Wi-fi adapter.
Speaking from Experience my Xbox downloads are fine as are, though I could likely be more tolerant to slower downloads because of rural living. I don't tend to notice the speed being significantly slower or anything to be honest, so its not likely a PN issue, unless its a rather selective one.
ghos7em1
Grafter

why do people think its always a wireless issue?any hardcore gamer would only use wired connection.its like ports of being blocked or some mad routing going on.i can see gamers leaving plusnet soon
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@ghos7em1 because most new gamers and a good lot of console gamers just don't know.  Console gaming is plug and play type, meaning you usually don't have to know the ins and outs of networking and then get a rude awakening when hit with strictnat.  So it is more common for new players not to know that wired is best.
@watts320, can be a number of issues, one of which is what KhromeHound covered, wired is best
Are you on DSL or Fibre?  If on DSL, do you share your connection?  If your connection speed is slow, anyone else online at the same time you are will make gaming a painful experience.  Gaming while someone else is watching online streams/browsing image intensive sites do not mix when on the same DSL connection.  It is worse if you are the host of the game, then you need 15kB/s for each connection that joins your game on your upload speed for every one to not lag.
When console gaming, most times you are dependant on someone you are playing with that is the host, so dependant that they have a good connection and also are not sharing a connection.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ghos7em1
Grafter

@watts320 if you are using technicolor router use dmz option,if you have more then 1 console use upnp only and turn off upnp extended security.disable plusnet firewall in member centre.use namebench to test for faster dns servers,if all this dont work buy a better router as technicolor routers are not good routers for gaming.but it wont matter what you do if plusnet have bad routing or other problems. Shocked
ghos7em1
Grafter

and disable sip alg its known to cause gaming problems.now your system is good for gaming if you still have bad lag its plusnet Grin
KhromeHound
Grafter

I thought it might be as your initial post was sparse on details. Indicating a lack of either knowledge of interest in this area. Hence start with the basic potential causes and advance from there.
And "Any hardcore gamer would use wired" not always true. Some might have an issue of where the router is to the Xbox / play-station / computer. - For example I am a hardcore gamer, by my definition at least, and a wired connection is not available to me. + The antenna my computer has seems to be very very low loss, so I don't really need to drag a wire up the stairs and through numerous doors. Its simply preference, though wired is generically superior.
If possible, it might be wise to check if anyone else is using the same connection for things like torrenting or streaming or such, as anything similar to that can literally murder your download speeds into nothingness. - Unless of course you checked your laptop & Xbox at the same time, in which case this is accounted for.
However to answer the initial question, no. This would not seem to be a PN issue. As it'd likely have a lot more posts complaining if it was.
Which leaves, your connection, your xbox, your router, the connection wire, someone else leeching broadband at bad times, or a localised fault I guess. As potential causes.
ghos7em1
Grafter

fifa13 14 gears of war just some of the games which plusnet have problems with, the reason why some of my friends have left.at least i try to help people unlike plusnet staff who when they are on they read from a list.