Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag spikes in game

GeneGenie
Grafter

Lag spikes in game

Hi all,
I'm having some trouble at the moment with my ping (mainly in COD6). Most of the time my connection is fine and I have four bars, no lag and am pretty much always chosen to play as host. However at random points in the game my connection goes down to one bar and the game is unplayable, which causes a lot of problems when I'm the host and has meant I've been kicked a couple of times.
I've got interleaving switched off and 99% of the time I have a ping in the low 20s, however I've started noticing some results such as these:

Although they don't look too bad I'm sure it must be getting much worse at points as the game is completely unplayable for a minute or so at random times. If anyone could help that would be great as it can cause arguments when playing with friends due to me lagging everyone! If you need any more info let me know and I'll post it as soon as possible.
Thanks,
GeneGene
16 REPLIES 16
Woody3600
Grafter

Re: Lag spikes in game

Are you playing on Console or PC mate?
GeneGenie
Grafter

Sorry, should of said, I'm playing on Xbox 360.
Woody3600
Grafter

I had similar problems mate. Does it mainly happen at peak times? Its not as frequent as it used to be but my ping used to rocket at peak times and id drop to red connection on MW2 and it would become unplayable. As far as im aware there is nothing you can do about it. Iv been told it has something to do with PlusNet switching to US servers at peak times because their crappy UK servers can't cope and it saves them money to do so  Undecided Normally if i reset my internet connection and leave it off for 5-10 minutes, upon restarting the ping drops to 15-20 again.
Obviously this is just my experience of the problem and i may be wrong but thats what iv encountered on 360.
GeneGenie
Grafter

I can't really comment on whether it only happens at peak time as I only go on the evenings so I'm not sure if it also happens in the day :-\. I would of expected more from a broadband package aimed at gamers but not really much I can do I guess.
Woody3600
Grafter

We all expected more mate tbh. There have been numerous problems for numerous people over the past few months  Undecided
GixerBoy75
Dabbler

And because of the comment above, this is why we left for another ISP. I was suffering chronic lag with MWII for months and at best my pings were around 40ms, however, with the new ISP my pings have dropped to around 20ms and I'm not getting any issues at all throughout the course of an evening. The only times I've suffered lag have been when the host has had issues and the game has had to change hosts.
GeneGenie
Grafter

It's got worse lately, last couple of game were completely unplayable, what would be the best course of action to get this fixed - other than switching ISP which I'd rather not do.
Bustermagic
Grafter

Quote from: GixerBoy75
And because of the comment above, this is why we left for another ISP. I was suffering chronic lag with MWII for months and at best my pings were around 40ms, however, with the new ISP my pings have dropped to around 20ms and I'm not getting any issues at all throughout the course of an evening. The only times I've suffered lag have been when the host has had issues and the game has had to change hosts.

Hi I also have noticed higher ping rates. Used to get low 20's but now lucky if I can get low 30's - even after gateway hopping and with interleaving switched off.  Which ISP have you switched to as I think Plusnet are unable to resolve this and the only way would be to switch provider to a more gamer friendly ISP.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi,
For those having poor ping, have you raised tickets with a wireshark capture on? We can check if the traffic is being prioritised correctly from that.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bustermagic
Grafter

Hi Chris, I've already tried that and got told that it was fine with the exception of a small amount of fragmentation. I was not told how to fix the fragmentation.
scootie
Grafter

your router will be set to use a lower mtu value than what your pc is using, most likely cause of frag'in. But the xbox should be gettin your mtu from what your router is using so wouldnt be a problem
Bustermagic
Grafter

Hi Asbo, my router is set to 1500 mtu and when I test it from my pc or the router it does not fragment at that setting, only on wireshark. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I change the router to a lower value and match the pc to that.
GixerBoy75
Dabbler

Quote from: Bustermagic
Hi I also have noticed higher ping rates. Used to get low 20's but now lucky if I can get low 30's - even after gateway hopping and with interleaving switched off.  Which ISP have you switched to as I think Plusnet are unable to resolve this and the only way would be to switch provider to a more gamer friendly ISP.

We switched to o2 llu and our ping is constantly around the 20's and I've not suffered one bit of lag since moving to them.
Bustermagic
Grafter

I've been measuring my ping over the past couple of days - today I have not been online at all so the increase in ping is down to Plusnet's latency.  Goes part way to explain why you can have good and bad games in the same evening.  The ping rates are awfully high for a gamer friendly ISP!