Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag on LoL

RicoDawg
Dabbler

Lag on LoL

Hey forum,
Long story short, I am getting lag when my flatmate uses the internet, I can hardly play ranked games (or normals when I am lagging under towers and outright disconnecting!) when I randomly get 1000ms lag spikes.
I was under the impression that the QoS in the router would not let another device gobble up all the bandwidth when I had a game running (hence QUALITY of Service...).
I have no other problems, this is literally it, the connection is fine and stable when I am on my own.
I am using the Technicolor TG582n' router, the connection is stable, I just need to know how to limit the bandwidth of my flatmate, so she can't take it all and make me DC.
P.s. I have no problems with ports, all of the relevant ports are open and functioning perfectly.
32 REPLIES 32
All4One
Grafter

Re: Lag on LoL

What speed do you get? What's your housemate doing on their computer?
I had used to live with 3 guys, all playing games, this was roughly a 16Mbps connection. As soon as someone started uploading (or heavily downloading) the game would lag incredibly bad and then there'd be a witch hunt to find out who it was.
Could try net limiter 3 to see what's using the bandwidth on the computers.
Edit: Your housemate doesn't have torrents running in the background do they seeding which they don't know about?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sorry, we should have seen this on Friday.
Make sure your house mates aren't maxing the upstream on your router.  That is often the main thing which causes problems.  Our traffic management should mean that your gaming is protected from their actions as long as the upstream isn't maxed.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
RicoDawg
Dabbler

Quote from: All4One
What speed do you get? What's your housemate doing on their computer?
I had used to live with 3 guys, all playing games, this was roughly a 16Mbps connection. As soon as someone started uploading (or heavily downloading) the game would lag incredibly bad and then there'd be a witch hunt to find out who it was.
Could try net limiter 3 to see what's using the bandwidth on the computers.
Edit: Your housemate doesn't have torrents running in the background do they seeding which they don't know about?

It's just one girl, and all she does is stream films, watch youtube videos, and use skype (possibly the problem)... Oh, and Facebook... Endless Facebok.
I was actually going to download netlimiter on her laptop today, hopefully she doesn't do a U-Turn and decide I should be downloading anything on her laptop!
I don't believe she even knows what a torrent is, so I find that unlikely.
Quote from: Kelly
Sorry, we should have seen this on Friday.
Make sure your house mates aren't maxing the upstream on your router.  That is often the main thing which causes problems.  Our traffic management should mean that your gaming is protected from their actions as long as the upstream isn't maxed.

Considering the measly upload rate we get, it wouldn't surprise me if that was maxed out all the time. But I don't know how to actually check that, and I must say, the Technicolor router is terrible;
There are no options to control bandwidth limitation, and the 'built in' QoS is clearly terrible. The 'gaming mode' hasn't made any difference at all, and there is no way to monitor traffic.
So how do I check if she is maxing the upload? And if she is, what can I do about it?

Today's Speedtest.net results:
Ping to closest server: 43ms
Download speed: 7.78mbps (lower than usual)
Upload speed: 0.32mbps (pretty pathetic)
RicoDawg
Dabbler

Ok so I am pretty sure it's skype causing the problem, since she always video calls with her boyfriend who lives quite far away. But surely I should have higher upload speed than 0.3mbps? That's terribly low! Before my internet was set up I was using this horrible mobile broadband from '3', and that gave me 1mbps upload! more than 3 times what I am getting from a full broadband package specifically recommended for gamers.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We should be able to uncap your upload.  I'll get someone to sort.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi RicoDawg,
I can see that my colleague, Ash, has placed an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped yesterday, we're expecting this order to complete by the end of the day tomorrow.
Once your upload speed change has completed, can you let us know if you have any further problems?
thatbeachchick
Dabbler

I am STILL getting lag on LoL despite it supposedly being "fixed" a week ago. I have been with many different internet providers and I have NEVER seen ANYTHING like this. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thatbeachchick,
I can see that your line is clear of any problems that I can see. I have just placed an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped, this should complete by the end of the day on Monday for you. Can you let us know after this point if you are having any further problems?
RicoDawg
Dabbler

The upload uncapping has worked for the most part, though I do still occasionally get some ridiculous lag spikes.
thatbeachchick
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Hi thatbeachchick,
I can see that your line is clear of any problems that I can see. I have just placed an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped, this should complete by the end of the day on Monday for you. Can you let us know after this point if you are having any further problems?

Well now the internet is just down, had to connect to my iphone to post this.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear that you've lost connection.
I can see that your router is synchronised with the local exchange so it should be a case of popping your details into your router to get back up and running.
Can you let me know if you have any problems having done this so I can help the best I can?
thatbeachchick
Dabbler

No idea what you mean so I'll need a step-by-step thing here cos nothing we try works
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, I should have sent you a link to one of our guides Smiley
If you can visit http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-setup-guide.shtml#manualSetup and follow the steps, that should get you back up and running.
thatbeachchick
Dabbler

That guide doesn't make any sense to me since we can't see any of the 2 'log-in screens', just says we can't connect to the internet. All green lights on the router but we can't connect to the internet 😕