cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag Issues with games

Sharanza

Lag Issues with games

Hey,
I have just recently switched to plusnet and taken up the Plusnet Extra Broadband package, my internet and router was connected on wednesday and the first day was great I only play PC games and I had nice pings on world of warcraft, modern warfare 3 and battlefield 3 which i was very pleased with however the following few days after that haven't been as good i get high latency problems on WoW, my modern warfare 3 is stuck on a strict NAT type and im only recieving one red bar most of the time and I have also tried to open up the ports through the Telnet service using some guides on this forum but it didn't do anything i'm not sure if I want to mess around with other features on there as i'm not the most experienced person on the internet, my BF3 also lags badly now aswell. What I find mostly weird though is that my general internet browsing is not slow i can stream videos at a good pace according to speedtest sites im getting between 10-17meg on average too which compared to my previous provider is amazing.
Is there any way I can get some help on how to improve these problems that i am getting? Without being able to play these games having this service just isn't worth it for me  Undecided
5 REPLIES 5
rodtrotter
Grafter

Re: Lag Issues with games

Don't make the same mistake I did my turning your router on off then back to get a open nat all it will do is make the exchange think your line is dropping connection and it will slow your speed down to get a open nat try turning the firewall off in your router settings also make sure the upnp is turned on
StuartUK35
Grafter

Spend £50 on a real router, then see if you get the same issues after (thomson = happy shopper!)  Netgear or D-link, etc ?
You never know, may just work (if its the router causing the issues, which i'm 50/50 on that one..)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Sharanza
....i get high latency problems on WoW, my modern warfare 3 is stuck on a strict NAT type and im only recieving one red bar most of the time....

Ok, you should definitely not be having issues on WoW.  Loads of people play wow and we aren't seeing any problems reported with it.  Are you still having an issue with it?  MW3 has been having some speed issues reported, often to do with the strict nat issue you've reported, but also on the game side. 
Another question that is worth asking:  Do you run a lot of torrents?  We've seen some customers have issue with the Strict NAT problem when they run bit torrent clients a lot.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Sharanza

Since my post my world of warcraft latency has dropped and is running fine although this seems to be after I discovered my flatmate had been torrenting, is there anyway I can block/unblock such programmes as Utorrent from being run at certain hours through the router settings because since then we have agreed for her to only do so from 12 till 8am but just to be safe I would rather control the situation on the other hand this has rectified the WoW issue however i am still on a strict NAT type with MW3 and find it hard to connect to hosts or friends, if you could help me with that it would be very appreciated.
thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I guess MW3 is on the PC? If so I managed to get rid of the 'strict' nat settings and set it to 'open' by forwarding the ports specific for that game to the PC I play on - you can find the ports here: http://portforward.com/cports.htm and if you click through from the game name you'll be taken to a list of routers so you can get specific instructions for the one you're using.
Hope that helps,