cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping NAT open

SEP
Dabbler

Keeping NAT open

I'm using a PlusNet One router and have added port forwarding but when using the xbox app on win10 it keeps going back to moderate, I have no idea why it changes back, any ideas how to keep it open?

4 REPLIES 4
legume
Rising Star

Re: Keeping NAT open

Do you have an xbox as well?

Is it the app that tests nat or some game?

In theory at least (I don't have a plusnet router), removing all port forwarding and enabling upnp should work.

Windows 10 may need a reboot and an xbox need shutting down "properly" = energy saving setting, to notice any changes you make.

SEP
Dabbler

I have an xbox 

I use the xbox app on the win10 pc. Here it says my nat is moderate. will need to check the xbox system to see if it mentions nat status.

if xbox live uses 3074 and I have that port registered for the xbox on the router can I have another forward for my pc also to 3074?

legume
Rising Star

No you can't forward the same port to two devices.

I don't know what the win 10 app does WRT upnp or if win 10 firewall may cause extra issues.

Recently xboxes gained a setting to let you set what port you want to use.

Assuming the no port forward + upnp doesn't work or you don't want to use upnp then you could try that and forward the new port to the device you changed and 3074 to the other.

This is just for xbox live, some games may need their own set up, some need none, some like recent CODs are a pain with multiple consoles whatever you do.

That said moderate nat is still mostly OK for playing anyway.

SEP
Dabbler

Cheers for that. If I understand correctly if most others have theirs open or even moderate I should be fine