cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when you thought the Wii was different....

Grff
Grafter

Re: Just when you thought the Wii was different....

IMO the Wii is a party console. Not a serious gamers console.
I'll stick with my 360 for the time being.
I really can't justify spending on a PS3, when i'd get no benefits.  I don't have an HD TV, so HD isn't a seller for me, let alone BLu-ray.  Ok their online is free, but from what i've heard, it isn't a patch on XBL.
I also use my 360 for streaming media from the PC so find the integration really good.
The gamer points system is also quite nice for the 360.
It will be interesting to see how these new control systems pan out though.
James
Grafter

I'm with Paula on this one Smiley
The Wii is, like Griff says, a party console, just a good bit of fun.
The PS3 is for hard core gamers who aren't put of by the price.
The 360 is an all round machine, good for all generations.
Plus I think that XBOX Live is awesome.
s_d_c
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
The Wii is, like Griff says, a party console, just a good bit of fun.
The PS3 is for hard core gamers who aren't put of by the price.
The 360 is an all round machine, good for all generations.

I'm at a loss - why or how has the XBox360 suddenly become the "all round machine" while the PS3 isn't? And yes, I have a PS3!
The PS3 plays games, DVDs, High def material, streams media from other sources, has a hard drive for music, pictures etc. The only difference I can think of for the 360 is that it needs a HD-DVD drive add on to play high def material from discs - otherwise they do pretty much the same thing. I don't see how the Xbox is all round while the PS3 is for "hard core gamers"?!
The arguments given in other postings sound more like fanboy comments than factually based! (And I'd love to be proved wrong on this one!)
brad
Grafter

I have to agree with Shaun on this one. PS3 is far more of a media/entertainment system than the 360 and surely the XBox has more hardcore gaming followers?
And yes I have a PS3 in case you are wondering  Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

PS3 is far more of a media/entertainment system than the 360

Explain please Cheesy
and yes I have a 360 Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brad
Grafter

PS3 plays hi-def DVD content without splashing out extra cash for an add-on. Plus it will have more, no need to explain further. I have made my mind up which is better and that's that  Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

Wii > All
And yes, I have a Wii
And I just ordered Guitar Hero 3
❤️ Wii
B.
James
Grafter

Shaun,
Referring more to the games rather than it's entertainment capabilities.
I think the games on the PS3 are designed more for the hardcore gamers out there, whereas the 360 covers a more wider audience.
pdavidson
Grafter

That's what I would have said James. When I was referring to it as an all round machine I wasn't talking about it's media capabilities, more about the fact that when my Mum (who's 63) visits I can sit her in front of Hexic and not hear a peep out of her (bliss) when my nephew (who's 8 ) visits I can sit him in front of Feeding Frenzy and not hear a peep out of him (double bliss!). Although I hate to imagine the bickering if they both visited on the same day  Grin
That's what I mean by all round. The PS3 is for grown ups and serious gamers and I'd struggle to find anything for either of the two above to play. 360 stretches to everyone in some way or another. To be honest, the media capabilities of any of the consoles are for reasonably advanced users only so we need to keep those out of the equation.
I'll repeat something of my analogy from the internal forums because I think it's relevant:
The Wii is fun for all the family in the same way that Mousetrap is (linky - ironically this is also out of stock....coincidence?  Wink ). If Mousetrap had a secret hidden version of the game which grown ups could play once the kids were in bed that involved shooting mice in the head with a shotgun then that'd be the 360. If the ONLY way to play Mousetrap was to shoot the mice in the head with a shotgun then that'd be the PS3.
EDIT - apologies, the link was stretching the page.
evildeve

The thing with the PS3 is that it's current library of games constitutes sequels, ports, and a handful of original IP.  Sony have pushed it as a universal hub for all your entertainment needs and games console after that. The thing is, no-one really wants this kind of convergence, or rather no-one other than more hardcore gamers wants this kind of convergence. Microsoft made a games console that plays music and videos, Sony have made a multimedia hub that plays games. It's the wrong way round. The mistake they made was thinking they could apply what made the PS2 a smashing success (i.e. a cheap DVD player everyone could afford) in a current, relevant way (i.e. A convergence device) and it's not for Joe Chavmonkey and his 3 screaming kids, they just want to shoot prostitutes in the face with a  shotgun on GTA IV.
People have binged and moaned on about how Xbox Live should be free, but to be honest for an integrated system that supports voice comms as standard and allows you to view your contacts no matter what game your playing it's well worth £40 a year. The marketplace is easy to navigate and has a brilliant selection of arcade games which is where the “anyone can play” really comes in because there's something for everyone. Until Sony figure out why Xbox Live is as amazing as it is the PSN way of gaming online is always going to be a pale imitation. I have no doubt that the Playstation 3 will become a force to be reckoned with, but Sony really need to make a decision on  where they want to go with the PS3.
To me, a games console should be a games console, which, ironically, is what Nintendo have gone for. They took the same thinking they had behind the DS with the Wii and now have an audience of non-gamers gaming (which should be applauded). The Wii really is one of those consoles for social gaming, and the ones that won't use it as such are the very young ones or your mum who thinks Rayman Raving Rabbids "looks like a giggle". You only have to see the absolute dross peddled in the Wii sections to see who the demographics are. For every Super Mario Galaxy there's 5 licensed bags of rubbish, for every Metroid Prime Corruption there's 5 shovelware bargain bucket cobblers, which is exactly the same as the DS. But if that's what sells, then let people buy them.
I suppose what it comes down to is this, Nintendo are laughing because they have effectively turned the video game market on it's head and made money out of it. Good on them. Microsoft have got their business model right and made a system that has a vast catalogue in a short space of time and an online service that is solid, easy to use and fresh. Sony have a console where they don't know what they want it to be. Hell, we only have to look at the removal of backwards compatibility to see they don't know what the hell they want. When the Xbox bc was announced Sony laughed like a drain (rightly, because it's rubbish) while claiming the PS3 would be utterly backwards compatible LOL. Where is that now? You can file 60gb PS3 under “Wii's and Ds's” this christmas because all they've done is drive up demand for that version of the console, which is now deleted.
Rant ends Smiley
evildeve

Also, I'll pre-empt the "Why buy a PS3 to play PS2 games!!?" argument with the reasoning of upscaling Smiley The bc plays a bigger part than anyone wants to admit, we only have to look at sales of the 60gb to see that.
s_d_c
Dabbler

I'm loving this debate, and I'm loving the fact it hasn't turned into a fanboy flame-war!
As I just said to Paula (shock horror, actually in person Cheesy ), the PS3 is more for hard-core gamers at the moment, because it's still relatively new. I'm sure in a years time we'll have plenty of games that our younger and older relatives can play on all consoles!
Removing (or restricting) the backwards compatibility was one of the worst things Sony have done for a while. They're obviously of the opinion that they want to ignore their fanbase (who have loads of PS1 and PS2 games) and want to start afresh. If they'd done the BC properly, we wouldn't be having this argument about our relatives not having games to play, cos we'd stick on some old game to keep them happy!
And yes, XBox live is great (apparently) and PSN is shocking. They've not embraced the online capabilities yet, and if they do, it might be too late.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I couldn't stay away. Admittedly I haven't played on a PS3, but it doesn't tempt me - too expensive, and it doesn't do anything that's worth the money for me. It hasn't added anything to the gaming world aside from nice graphics, and if you buy a game cos it has nice graphics and not because it's fun to play then, well, it seems to me you don't get gaming.
Now I'm happy to be proved wrong on this - as I've said, I've never played on a PS3.
Xbox 360 - this is on my purchase list. Mainly because of live, and the fact that a lot of my mates have one already, which means as soon as I get it I'll be able to join them online. Also there are a number of games out that severely tempt me.
The wii? I have a wii. Party console? No doubt the wii is an awesome party console. BUT. Don't say that that is all it is. Until you've played Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4 - Wii edition (it's what resident evil 4 - one of the best games I've ever played - was always meant for), Twilight Princess, Metroid and Trauma Center I recommend at least admitting that you haven't yet given it a proper chance.
Now, if you don't like those games after playing, fair enough - but in the same way I'm sure some reading this are thinking 'Nintendo Fanboy!' (yes, I am, and unashamedly at that) I'm thinking 'why would you want to hate it without giving it a chance?'
Gaming isn't about the platform. It's about the games. If playing a game is fun, then it's a success, whoever makes it and whatever it's running on.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and Super Mario Galaxies have between them stolen a large chunk of my life since picking a Wii up in September. They are both massive games with many hours of enjoyment in them and are great fun to play. The control system in RE4 is the best I have ever used on any platform ever.
Personally I can see myself getting a 360 at some point, but I have no love for the PS3. I played the original PS and PS2 loads but I think sony have lost sight a bit and forgotten that great games don't need to have great graphics.
Fad
Dabbler

a console flame war without the flame!!!
nice and refreshing Smiley
i was sad and bought all three consoles (though the wii is the wifes) and out of the lot im on 360 more often mainly due to live, available games being so good and in the case of multiplatform releases they are normaly the stronger version.
im not really sure what if anything home will bring into the mix for sony as it looks kind'a lame and peeps i've talked to who are on the beta have all sad its abit crap Sad having said that though the games really are starting to arrive and deliver, i've got UT 3 on its its way from the US so that will keep me on the ps3 for a while Wink and probably double my usage  Roll_eyes
as for the wii it gets the least time from me but not the least love. when you get an urge to fire up the wii it really grabs you and keeps you hooked for hours, it really is top fun and an absolute riot when you add friends and alcohol into the mix!!!
when my BB went down after the numties at pipex messed up my account i spent more time on RE4 than the other consoles by far and from the brief go i had on metroid i could really see the wii losing is toy like status and delivering some games most often associated with the other consoles.
to sum up save up and get all three Smiley