cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when you thought the Wii was different....

pdavidson
Grafter

Just when you thought the Wii was different....

.....someone goes and creates the technology for all!
http://www.in2games.uk.com/corporate/gametrakfusion-index.php
Freedom will launch in 2008, with a wide range of games for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

How will sales of the Wii keep up with the 360 with all but the standard Nintendo/Mario fanboy (and girl) crowd?
The one thing that made the console truly different (from a game design perspective) is now going to be available to their competitors and it's going to be interesting to see what effect it has.
The 360 already has a very established community and marketplace so add to that the ability for it to be a party console like the Wii and we're going to see some big waves in the Gaming ocean I think.
I'm sure plenty will disagree with me though so let's hear it! Wink
35 REPLIES 35
Assos
Grafter

Re: Just when you thought the Wii was different....

I'm not particularly into gaming, but isn't the Wii quite a bit cheaper than the 360 / PS3?
James
Grafter

By about £100.
pdavidson
Grafter

It's cheaper than the 360 and a LOT cheaper than the PS3. The PS3 is (in my opinion) hideously overpriced for a console but it does look amazing. Unfortunately that's not enough to make me want to buy one Smiley
I have a Wii and a 360 but I'm now wondering how useful the Wii will be once this is launched.
brad
Grafter

Hmm could be quite interesting how this develops!
And yeah the PS3 does look fantastic and imo is a very good console (& blu-ray player) so would be even better with this technology.
s_d_c
Dabbler

The basic PS3 is now £300. Coupled with the fact that you get a Blu-Ray player for this price is a bargain. And the price will only continue to drop (along with the features, probably!)
The 360 can be bought for £220, with a HD-DVD drive add-on takes it to around £320-£340.
To be fair though, I wouldn't buy a 360 or a PS3 as just a games console. For me, my PS3 is an advanced games console that features the ability to play games, but also to watch high def movies and content.
pdavidson
Grafter

The PS3 will use it well for FPS and the 360 is in a great place to make use of it with downloadable arcade games and content.
I can't wait Smiley
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: Paula
The one thing that made the console truly different (from a game design perspective) is now going to be available to their competitors and it's going to be interesting to see what effect it has.

It also remains to be seen what the games are like. I've always found Nintendo games more playable than any other console.
pdavidson
Grafter

I have it on good authority that the launch games look amazing and non-microsoft employees that have been in contact with the project can't wait to get their hands on one.
Which means I can't now either  Roll_eyes
Much as I stick by the 360 as my fave console I also can't wait to see something FPS based with one of these controllers through a PS3 on my plasma (I'll be borrowing a PS3 just to have a go if they have an FPS at launch!)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'd quite like to have one of the current gen consoles, but the PS3 is way overpriced (even now after they cut the spec down for £300). Since I started playing World Of Warcaft about a year ago, it doesn't leave much time for anything else when I do play games (a few hours a week) Smiley
My PS2 never gets used, gathering dust underneath the TV .. shame really.
I can understand why the Wii is popular given its price, problem with the PS3 is that £300-£400 quid worth of kit is a lot unless you're going to be using it often. Given the console manufacturers use the 'razor and razor blade' business model as is currently used by the printer manufacturers, I guess it must cost a lot to produce if they can't reduce the price further.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I don't think the control method is the only differentiator for Nintendo. Nobody designs games as well as nintendo - as long as they keep that up then they will still sell Wii like crazy.
pdavidson
Grafter

Ok, not the only differentiator but it's the key one in the current console battle. Nintendo have a lot going for them but things are certainly about to get more competitive for everyone. interesting times Smiley
We bought a Wii for Mario Galaxy and will keep it as long as they keep releasing genius games like that but 360 will always be THE console in our household (we have 3!)
bhau
Grafter

I'll keep the wii for fun games like Mario Kart and play proper games on my PC thanks  Grin
Assos
Grafter

Another thing to consider, is the non techie users. At the moment the Wii has built up a *lot* of hype with them, which will presumeably in some cases relate to sales. As an example, my mum and her friend who are both very non tech often talk about the Wii, but hardly ever talk about the 360 or PS3. Therefore it could be suggested that this new product will need to overtake the Wii in terms of hype before it captures that segment of the market...
pdavidson
Grafter

That's a very good point. There's a whole set of people out there that want party games and nothing else, the Wii is perfect for those so will they be swayed to buy a 360 or not?
Does anyone here fit into that category?