cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined but having issues

Revskic
Dabbler

Just joined but having issues

Firstly, I have to say I've been impressed with the staff in your Sheffield offices
The phone and broadband were taking over by plusnet yesterday when they said it would be and connecting and getting set up hasnt been an issue, Speeds arnt great but i understand i'm in the 10 day bedding in period so to speak.
My issue comes with setting up the new connection with Xbox Live, I keep getting told i have ''restrictive NAT settings'' I rang tech support, The lad was helpful but advised that the Thompson router supplied doest allow the NAT settings to be changed and to try portforwarding.com, I did and followed the instructions to open NAT settings.
I then managed to connect to Xbox Live after much messing around but apparently my firewall settings are set to strict, How can i rectify this i have a 14 year old lad who's whinging at me about it....
Many Thanks
Alex
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Just joined but having issues

Moved to Gaming as that is where the experts hang out
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi revskic,
If you log in to the router's control panel (http://192.168.1.254):
Click 'toolbox' on the left
Choose 'Game and Application Sharing' from underneath that
At the bottom of the new page choose 'assign a game or application'
At the bottom of the next page, in the left hand dropdown choose 'Xbox Live' from the bottom of the list
Then choose the Xbox from the list of devices in the dropdown next to that (it'll probably show a list of MAC addresses, so you'll need to check the Xbox system settings -> network to check which device you should choose)
Make sure the box for 'use UPnP' is ticked, then hit 'apply' at the bottom of the page.
That should sort things out for your son, hope it helps Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
Revskic
Dabbler

Hi,
I've tried both suggestions and both have now got me signed into Xbox Live, Many thanks for this however my firewall settings are already set to standard, yet FIFA 11 shows my firewall as restictive and i canot connect to anyone to play a game.
Any ideas ?
Thanks Alex
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
Revskic
Dabbler

Thanks to both for your help,
Matts suggestion allowed me to log on xbox live, and James's allowed me to get my firewall open.... However i've had to change my router settings to firewall disabled in order to have it set at open.
I'm worried this could affect my internet security though i do use Windows defender and Mcaffee on our computers should having no firewall cause me any futher issues.
Cheers
Alex
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
Revskic
Dabbler

I'll have a read through of the link you posted now, And my firewall will have to remain off tried putting it back on last night and went straight back to restrictive so seems theres no happy medium.