cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to know if you're hosting?

Euge
Grafter

Is there a way to know if you're hosting?

Been playing MW2 religiously the past 3 days in the evenings and my pings have been great, usually sub 100ms (4 green bars) and occassionally 3 bars. Sometimes I look and for a few seconds I'm the only one on 4 bars and the rest are on 3 bars, does that mean I'm the host?
Irrespective of all that my online experience has been flawless.
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Is there a way to know if you're hosting?

Yeah that means you are hosting Smiley I know I'm hosting cos it's a bit laggy for me.. even though everyone is only on 3 or 4 green bars.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Euge
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I know I'm hosting cos it's a bit laggy for me

Do you mean that people stutter a bit? I get that occasionally but it's not always noticeable. I thought being host would be an advantage?
edit: if it's host lag then everyone stutters including myself, if I'm hosting then everyone else stutters and not me (sometimes).
dvorak

Yeah everyone else stutters but me.. I think I know why though. People leave the room rapidly so I try and avoid hosting.
Customer / Moderator
volta84
Grafter

As soon as you start the game, press 'Back' to see the Scoreboard, if your the only one with 4 Green bars you are the host.
Euge
Grafter

In that case I was host in every game I checked at the beginning of, thanks to plusnets connection ping speeds. Which means it's better than many other main suppliers but I don't know who my clan members are with.
Although it's on ps3 not PC which I guess has a back button, on the ps3 you just press select at any time and it comes up with scores and ping details.
dvorak

Quick update - bought a new router and when I host now there is no lag looking much better Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Euge
Grafter

Which router adie?
Sorry you joined a game with me sometime this week adie, I noticed you just as my clan were leaving and had to follow. I wasn't simply being rude  Cry
dvorak

Bipac billion 7800n, solved 2 of my main problems - I can now game without having the controlled plugged in with the usb cable and the wireless works when the microwave is on Cheesy
Don't worry about the game, I just jump in when I see someone. Enjoying playing it though.
Customer / Moderator
Euge
Grafter

I found a 3rd problem that it solved, having too much money in your wallet  Cheesy
dvorak

Tongue
Problem number 4 it solved is ps3 reporting network issues when streaming.
Just goes to show what a useless thing the dg834pn is.
Customer / Moderator
Grff
Grafter

Getting the host can be the difference between being on the top of the scoreboard, or the bottom.
I sometimes get host in FFA, even with my line.  When I'm not host I never get above three bar connection.  I don't know what the connection meter represents on COD, but under 100 isn't 4, i'd guess maybe around 50 might be 4 bars.  I must have some ok upload speeds if I get the host.  It's just a shame I don't ever get it (or a 4 bar connection) in Team Deathmatch.
Euge
Grafter

I was just quoting someone else on this forum about the 4 bars bit
" IW are using the bars on PC too now because the actual figures are too shocking. 4 bars means 0-100, 3 means 100-200 ,2 means 200-300 and 1 bar is 300+."
I cannot vouch for the accuracy of it though  Lips_are_sealed
Grff
Grafter

If that's the case I always have around 100-200  Shocked  Roll_eyes
Woody3600
Grafter

Sorry to draw attention away from the discussion here but the problem im having (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81686.0.html) Could that be that the ping is dropping? hence my dropping to red bar/ losing connectivity to live completely or would that not be the case seeing as the laptops etc are unaffected?