cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is fibre the answer to my xbox live connection issues?

kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Is fibre the answer to my xbox live connection issues?

Hello all.
For some time now I've had connectivity issues on Xbox Live. It started last year when Titanfall was released but did stop for a short period. However it appears to have returned and I've been unsuccessful in trying to play Titanfall, Destiny, Forza Horizon 2 and the new Battlefield Hardline beta without any connection issues. I've not been ejected from any games (expect Destiny) however my connection has suffered in all games, resulting in my character warping around the map or been shown connection issue messages consistently during online play (Destiny and FH2).
I've decided that to potentially fix my issue I could upgrade to Plusnet fibre as the speeds are obviously increased and I get a new router. In your experience do you think it will fix the issues I have or is it not worth the upgrade? The download and upload speed are enticing but I'd just like to play Xbox Live again without any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated along with any opinions. I've also attached a picture of a recent speed test just for shiggles.
Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Mathias
Grafter

Re: Is fibre the answer to my xbox live connection issues?

First thing to try is requesting Plusnet to uncapping you upload, which should allow it to go up to 1mbps.
Then ensure you have forwarded ports properly.
Wouldn't get too excited by a new router, with fibre, as the standard one from Plusnet, like the ADSL version is not great for gaming. It can be a pain to setup properly and get it to remember ports. I would recommend getting a better router if gaming is important to you. Plenty of threads in this forum with router discussion.
Fibre may help but you should be ok to game on your connection if it is stable (once uncapped). Your ping is a bit higher than i would like to see, but not unreasonable. Ask if interleaving has been applied to your connection.
Hope that helps.
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Thank you for you detailed reply.
I didn't realis that I could get my upload uncapped, it's a bloody pain trying to upload YouTube vids!
I'll get in touch regarding interleaving. What does it actually do?
I'm sure the ports are all open for my Xbox and I've checked my NAT Type which is open.
I guess first and foremost is to get a router then and maybe update to Fibre later down the line. Will any modern router be fibre compatible or is it just that the Plusnet replacement has better wireless capabilities to the basic?
Thanks again.
ghos7em1
Grafter

all the games you seem to play are p2p.plusnet for me struggles on every p2p game ive played.i stopped playing gears of war 2 because hosting was a nightmare on that game.on fifa 14 i had strange button lag and slow players.i am now in the process of moving isp.for watching vidz and browsing web plusnet are good.but for gaming they need to improve.
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Unfortunately for me it's happening on Titanfall too which runs dedicated servers. I've got to say overall my Plusnet experience is tons better than my Sky. That was awful!
ghos7em1
Grafter

if you had connection issues with both isps then you must have a fault m8 you dont need big connection for smooth game play.just a good isp.i wish you all the luck m8 Smiley
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

I've just been looking in my Openreach box outside but not got a bloody clue what's going on in there. There are blue and white wires connected through with green and white ones spare. Sky would consistently disconnect whereas Plusnet is stable. Guess there problem might be more severe
Cheers for your help though Smiley