cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet/gaming issues

comancr
Dabbler

Internet/gaming issues

Gentleman, I seem to have some issues with my internet connection while gaming. While I'm in-game if anyone else in the flat does anything on the internet I get huge spikes for several seconds. And I`m not talking about being on skype, or streaming, or downloading, I mean literally if my flatmate searches something on Google my ping spikes to around 400 for several seconds. If he is watching a clip on youtube is literally unplayable for the duration of the clip and so on.
Sometimes this can be a major problem because I play at a competitive level and sometimes within competitions with decent prizes. In the past I have had to go to a friends flat with all my gear to be able to play a competition, and he uses also Plusnet but he does not have this issue.
I use a technicolor582n router, and I have my pc connected trough cable not wireless.
Ping on google.co.uk is a stable 34ms but as soon as anyone opens a browser it starts spiking to about 70-80ms. In-game that translates to about 400-500 ping depending on where the server is located. The game I'm playing is CS:GO, and to many it might not mean anything but my rank is Global Elite, so you can see that I'm not talking shit when I say I play competitive.
If there is anything I can do please let me know and maybe we can work this out somehow as it is getting really frustrating.
jim:red avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Internet/gaming issues

Do you have the Pro addon on your account as this could cause the problems you are seeing
If you don't then it is just possible that there is a profile problem on your account but only a wireshark capture will show that http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
comancr
Dabbler

Hi Jim, thanks very much for the fast reply.
I don't know if I have the pro add-on on my account, but it says I have the package better suited for gamers and "big families".
I will have a read trough with wireshark. Regarding that would you like me to monitor the traffic when I'm the sole user or when there is someone else using the connection?
Best Regards,
Cosmin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That sounds like one of the older packages
Can you have a look here and advise https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary
It just occurs to me that there may be another cause
Can you advise the router stats - noise margin, speeds and attenuation both up and down (I assume that you aren't on Fibre)
comancr
Dabbler

Jim, attached you have a print screen with my available products. I will post soon with the noise margins, and yes I`m adsl because fibre is not available in my area.
jim:green screen pic removed as it includes the order number mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are on an up to date product so shouldn't be seeing the problem you are
comancr
Dabbler

Jim, attached you have my noise margins.
comancr
Dabbler

Sorry wrong pic attached.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thought so
Your upstream needs to be uncapped - this may solve the problem
I will flag this up to be done
comancr
Dabbler

Jim, thanks very much for getting involved so fast in the matter.
If you could explain to me what you think it was that was causing the problem I would be very grateful, as that chart with noise and other info doesn't tell me much.
Best Regards,
Cosmin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically the upload speed has been capped at about 443kbps whereas uncapped it should be in excess of 1100kbps and it is possible that the increase in ping is because the upload is saturating
Once that is fixed we will need to check if the problem is gone or whether we need to investigate further
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've placed the order to uncap your upload speeds and this will complete on Tuesday .
If your still having issues after this let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
comancr
Dabbler

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate your fast response and solutions. Unfortunately by Tuesday I will be abroad with work for about a week so I will not be able to check but as soon as I am back I shall let you know.
Happy new year everyone!