Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In game VoIP not working with Plusnet - I'm going to have to leave

PeterBirt
Grafter

Re: In game VoIP not working with Plusnet - I'm going to have to leave

HI Tim.

I'm just using a standard Plusnet Hub 1 with all ther default settings. I can test with any of the other Plusnet routers if you are using a different one.

Cheers Pete

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Are you sure there's no other bandwidth intensive stuff happening on your network at the same time you're experiencing problems? Particularly on the upload.

Looking at the worst column shows consistently poor timings as soon as traffic leaves your router, all the way to the destination. I'd expect this if something else were contending for your provisioned bandwidth, e.g. a backup or something like that.

The best column shows decent timings, suggesting it's not always poor.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you running any P2P software, and if so have you limited the upload?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tflood
Grafter

I have tried the standard plusnet router with the same issue.

No, i am not running any p2p software or anything that is taking up bandwidth when in game.The issue does get worse depending on how many people are in the game arena. I can hear 1 person fine, but after more than about 3 or 4 people they are all intelligible. I have a keyboard that shows my bandwidth use and the game never takes up more than a fraction of it.

My upload speed is rubbish. I can't see how this is an issue because despite it people can hear me fine, but i am willing to entertain any theory. Here is a speedtest:

speedtest.JPG

tflood
Grafter

I retried my plusnet router, including with ports forwarded and firewall turned off. In game if anything it was worse than the netgear one. Anyway, here are the results for what it is worth. I don't know why they are different but the plusnet router seems to be faster but with more dropped packets.

Netgear then plusnet router

speedtest D7000.JPGspeedtest Plusnet.JPGWinMTR D7000.JPGWinMTR plusnet router.JPG

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

My voip in games is fine but i tried a test too

Untitled.png

tflood
Grafter

Thanks St3. The new Echo Arena update allows you to press F9 and get some performance stats on the monitor mirrored display. Here are mine:ea stats 1.JPGea stats 2.JPG

The packet loss increased with the number of people in the lobby of the game. That's the VoIP being lost i guess.

The person whose switch from Plusnet to Vodafone fixed the issue ran it and got zero packet loss.....

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Do you have other PN using friends who are also seeing the issue?  (I got that suggestion from this post but might have been wrong?)

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
tflood
Grafter

Not friends as such but quite a few people in the game with the issue are with plusnet. Some aren't, and there seems to be a few italians with the same issue so i guess an ISP over there have a similar problem.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Sounds like an issue with the game then if its affecting more than one isp ?

tflood
Grafter

No, because very few people have the issue, and people who have changed ISP have had the problem disappear. I suspect it is a port issue maybe that some ISPs don't open?

tflood
Grafter

Is there any way for me to connect to the same plusnet server you did Peter as shown in your ping trace? I see i connected to a different one and it would be interesting to see if that made a difference.

@PeterBirt wrote:

Hi Guys,

So I'm testing this at home on my own system but the VOIP function is crystal clear for me.

My results 

image.png 

What router are you guys using?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Staff accounts route across our network in the same way that connections with static IP's do, through the old BNG's via L2TP. I wouldn't expect this to make a difference but it would be interesting to know definitively.

I've temporarily added a static IP to your account now. If you do a single disconnect/reconnect of your PPP session your connection should be routing that way. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tflood
Grafter

Thanks very much for your help...it worked! I could hear people perfectly for the first time ever. It was really cool. Here are the connection stats from the in-game monitor. No packet loss unlike before when on the other plusnet server.

What is the normal plusnet server doing differently that this static IP server is doing? Different ports opened? Can the normal one be fixed or can i be left on this server?

Thanks

ea stats with static IP.JPG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm so glad to hear that!

This might be something for @Kelly to look into.

In the meantime, I'll leave your connection as it is with the static IP on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet