Did you mean: 

If you have a Steam account - watch it - major security leak

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you have a Steam account - watch it - major security leak

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:
Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.
We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.
While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.
We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.
We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.
I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
Gabe.
Temporarily stickied for better visibility
5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: If you have a Steam account - watch it - major security leak

ye looks like they have big problems  Embarrassed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15690187
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

bah I didn't get a warning email glad I checked the forum today
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Mine appeared in the updates panel that pops up when I close a game. Thanks for the thread link though Jim, hadn't seen that yet. Will have a look at it tonight.
myth
Grafter

Client was updated last night to fix there security hole, got mail regarding intrusion but im getting so used to changing my details every month now due to hackers lol. Surely this a major breach in Data Protection and im still wondering when these companies are gonna protect themselves against SQL attacks.