cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IW Have screwed up MW2 for PC users

Myst
Grafter

IW Have screwed up MW2 for PC users

There will be no dedicated servers for the pc, confirmed on bash and slash live cast with 402. That sucks for pc players. Gonna be listen servers through iw net
Quote:
• IW has control of the game
• IWnet servers will host multiplayer
• DLC will be a charged item for PC
• No dedicated servers
• Matchmaking system used to play with similarly ranked players
• VAC instead of PB
• Semi-capable password servers
• Semi-capable ad-hoc servers
• Competitive play is dead
• MW2 mods would not be possible
http://current.com/items/91209723_moder ... ervers.htm
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: IW Have screwed up MW2 for PC users

As a COD player I'm not particularly pleased that they've done this, it could spell the end for COD PC gaming in future. Without the modding community the PC versions of the game wouldn't have lasted as long as they did and now ending that along with charging for DLC is a bad move IMO.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Myst
Grafter

Very much so.
Also i would imagine rental of games servers will potentially take quite a hit too. I've had a dedi box for 4-5 years now, albeit running more than just CoD, however that was the mainstay, so unsure what will be done now. Perhaps CoD4 will remain popular, certainly is at present with a lot of waw players returning to it.
time will no doubt tell how much the game and IW will have suffered for the sake of pandering to the consoles fraternity.
Tyreal74
Grafter

we 360 users have to pay so pc users should as well, nuff said really
xbox users have been clammering for years for dedi servers, Sectrion 8 recently gave us Xserver but no big names are willing to embrace it.
it might not actually be as bad as everyone thinks.
Myst
Grafter

Its not about DLC its about the servers and on the machine it was originally made for, rather than playing it on a toy
SparckZero
Grafter

Quote from: Myst
rather than playing it on a toy

A nice, balanced viewpoint you have there  Grin
Seriously though, MW2 was off the cards for me the second it was announced it'd be retailing at an inflated price. I have no problem paying for a good game, but as far as I can tell the price was bumped up just for the hell of it. I'll probably rent it at some point down the line for the SP, but that's about it.
It doesn't surprise me that IW have opted to go for a "matchmaking" style option in the PC version - yes, dedicated servers are all well and good, but matchmaking really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be...
As for "pandering to the console fraternity", I don't think that's a fair or relevant comment - how does not including dedicated servers / charging for DLC on the PC version improve / benefit the console version in any way, shape or form?
Myst
Grafter

My response was in line with your one liner.  Wink - also i too have the same toy, although i only use it occasionally for certain game types
As for the game - like Op flash 2, that was aimed primarily at the consoles and ported to the PC, hence my comment pandering to consoles.
As a business model then yeah they are likely right insomuch that there are greater margins to be made, as you say at highly inflated prices compared to the norm. however the game series was built and sustained by the pc games player through various clans and more importantly the modding community who have added so much to the series!
IW imo and obviosly by the strength of feeling have dropped the ball big style.
SparckZero
Grafter

Indeed -  You would hope that IW have a reason for not including dedicated server support in the PC version, but I can't see it from where I'm standing...unless they're planning on making it a "premium feature" perhaps, in the hope of making more money? Just speculation, although it wouldn't surprise me...
Myst
Grafter

There is a post on the IW where they have given their reasons.
Most of it doesn't hold water though, and has been attacked by the majority of the posters.
Whether the feeling that has erupted over this is enough to make them change their minds is another thing.
There are a lot of people who say they will not be buying the game - whether thats the case when it actually gets released is to be seen, i personally have not decided yet, some who play more seriously or dedicated clans i can see staying with 4 rather than playing a bastardised version when it will be nigh on impossible to have the right set up etc to play their matches etc.
Have to hope BF3 makes up for it.
Discord
Grafter

Sign the petition and cancel the order of the game.
There should be dedicated servers.  Full stop.
This and the over inflated price will just actually push more people to get a pirate copy.  Shame.
Bojangles
Grafter

Never thought COD Multiplayer was that good anyway. Played the SP missions round a mates and MW was the only one that stood out, seeing as WW2 history is a bit predictable these days.
This is probably just a way of getting people to pay for the more expensive toy version. Tongue
scootie
Grafter

i just wish they would make a good britsh vs amricans fps. i get fed up of seeing the yanks as the top dog in these games.
Tyreal74
Grafter

well if you recall in cod4, the mericans got blown up ina  nuke and the end of the game finished as a brit
scootie
Grafter

multiplayer am more on about.