cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't forward the correct ports to my router

PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

I can't forward the correct ports to my router

For the past couple of days I've been trying to forward the correct ports to my router so that I can play a game with my friend, and haven't been able to do so. So basically what happens is once I've created the game/application with the correct ports, I try to assign it to my selected device (i.e. my laptop) by clicking "add" and nothing happens, and it does not get added to the list either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

19 REPLIES 19
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: I can't forward the correct ports to my router

Hi @PaulineOsborn60

Welcome to the forums.

According to the Plusnet guide here http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ which router do you have?

If you have the Hub One or the 582n, then there is a guide to Port Forwarding(Or Game Sharing) at that link.

Otherwise what router are you using and which ports and protocols are you trying to forward and for which game?

There maybe a conflict between an predefined Port Forward rule and your new one which is blocking your new game settings.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Hey @SpendLessTime

Thank you for responding to my post!

To answer your first question, I have the 2704n router. The game in question that I'm trying to port forward is Magicite, and the port I'm trying to forward for the game is (only) 7777, with the protocol being TCP/UDP. I should have mentioned in my original message that I am also unable to "edit" or "delete" any currently listed game/application that was already on the list before the problem started happening.

SpendLessTime
Hero

hi again @PaulineOsborn60

I don't have that router but have you tried the instructions by Plusnet staffer @Darkfire in his post (number 3) at https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/Plusnet-Routers-and-Port-Forwarding/m-p/1307973#M17456 , obviously just using 7777 rather than the long list he gives in his example instruction. 

Hopefully some else using that router successfully to port forward will reply here too.

PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Hey @SpendLessTime

The instructions on that page are exactly the same as what I've already been trying to do, and I still end up with the same problem, because I still click "add" and nothing happens, it still doesn't get added to the list. The "edit" and "delete" buttons still don't do anything either.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

SpendLessTime
Hero

Sorry that's all I can offer in the way of help. Hopefully some one with this router can help you. 

PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Thank you for taking your time to help me!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you tried disconnecting the router from the internet (login & click disconnect) unplug from phone line and then switch it off for a few minutes ( 5>10) leaving it unplugged from phone line switch it on and login then use the advanced menu and give your game a name that's not in the list (call it 99game999_99) then add the port rule function(s) and assign it to the laptop as required and see if it actually works ?

sometimes routers like all computers just need some time out to work properly.

if that doesn't work chances are you would need a different router, there are plenty of options out there and many of them are better than the isp supplied ones (although often a decent one is pricy)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Sorry, but that didn't seem to fix it either. I'm doing everything correctly and clicking "add" still does not add the game to the list.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

sounds like a firmware bug / issue, might be useful if you pm one of the customer service reps to get their help, pretty sure they can push updates to the router from plusnets end and fix most problems with them, or send you out a new router if that ones fu'bar'd

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Yeah, I guess I'll try that soon. Thank you for the help! :3

SpendLessTime
Hero

@PaulineOsborn60

Please read this new post https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Port-Forwarding-a-useful-assistant/m-p...

Port 7777 is defined by the games "Active Worlds" , "Ultima" and "Unreal Tournament" according to @undyinguk22

The first 2 define the use of TCP and the 3rd UDP 

Perhaps try adding your machine to these game profiles

PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

Hey @SpendLessTime

Thank you for finding that information for me, but sadly even though I tried to add my device to those game profiles I still ended up with the problem, because the "add" button still does nothing when I click on it. There must be some kind of external fix because the fact that I can't interact with any of the interface buttons (i.e. the "add", "edit" and "delete" buttons) is stopping me from being able to perform most of the fixes people are suggesting. Thank you for going to the trouble of finding that information for me though! :3

SpendLessTime
Hero

It almost sounds like the admin password isn't working. If you are confident enough, you could try a factory reset as that would reset everything including the passwords.

Note check that the original password is still readable on the back of the router FIRST as you could lock yourself out.

Or save the pennies for a new router. 

PaulineOsborn60
Hooked

I know that this may not sound that important, but just to check I right clicked the "Add" button and chose "Inspect Element", and once the console was brought up clicked the "Add" button again and the console kept giving me the error "addClick is not defined", so I'm assuming it's something that's wrong with the webpage. Any ideas on what the error might be? 

PS: There's an image of what I'm looking at on my screen attached below, if it's of any help.