cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Twitch.tv for you?

scotteh

How is Twitch.tv for you?

Hey guys. I'm moving to plusnet fiber in a week and I'm wondering what everyone's twitch viewing experience is like on this ISP.
Right now on bethere, it's absolutely horrible. Even with 24mb down and 2mb up, I get buffering every 5 seconds even on the lowest quality. The routing between twitch and bethere is terrible. I'm really, really hoping plusnet is better.
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
TORPC
Grafter

Re: How is Twitch.tv for you?

I watched 20 minutes without any issue Smiley
I am on a PlusNet ADSL connection with their default Technicolor TG582n router
horribad
Dabbler

Twitch is fine for me as well but you have to remember that the Twitch website infrastructure is pretty bad.
All4One
Grafter

Quote from: horribad
Twitch is fine for me as well but you have to remember that the Twitch website infrastructure is pretty bad.

This.
I'm fibre and it's fine unless Twitch themselves doodoo the service.
horribad
Dabbler

Quote from: All4One
Quote from: horribad

This.
I'm fibre and it's fine unless Twitch themselves doodoo the service.

Yeh. I've watched a few professionally recorded live events on Twitch and sometimes the Twitch player just bombs. I think it's a lot to do with concurrent viewers or something. Don't really know.. not a web designer myself but every time it's happened my internet has been stable on everything else.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Is it all streams which are bad with bethere?  Or just one you like?  Remember, it's dependent on the quality of the streamers ISP service as well!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
krs360
Grafter

Fine for me at the moment.
As Kelly said, the stream is pretty dependent on the streamers connection and PC (encoding) etc..
scotteh

Quote from: Kelly
Is it all streams which are bad with bethere?  Or just one you like?  Remember, it's dependent on the quality of the streamers ISP service as well!

Almost all. Some are worse than others. One in particular is someone called cobaltstreak, his is particularly bad but he's a popular streamer and the problem definitely is not on his end. It's most certainly a routing issue between me and twitch. I guess some twitch servers are worse than others, so people like cobalt are on a particularly bad one for my isp.
I guess it doesn't matter anyway since Plusnet should be up and running tomorrow morning.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Twitch.TV changed the way their service works recently.
It used to be 100% livestream, now it's not, you used to NEVER get any buffering at all. Now it seems that it's all cached on their side thus taking away the "live streaming" element.
There's a whole post on it on their blog -> http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/12/service-update-major-video-system-update-and-prague-is-online/ - Also, a second one post update -> http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/12/new-video-system-update-after-one-week-in-service/
If you're receiving any buffering, chances are it's on twitch's side and not yours.
I have 7MB/s download speed consistently and I still get buffer from time to time (Not with Plusnet)
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Matt