cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Is Download Traffic from The PS3 Store Classified?

bobboulby
Grafter

How Is Download Traffic from The PS3 Store Classified?

I'm on BBYW Option 2. My son has just got his PS3 on line and had been downloading lots of game demos from the PlayStation Store. The download speeds seem to vary enormously and I was wondering if this was due to some sort of traffic shaping on my account. I'm well within my monthly allowance by the way.
Thanks - Bob
3 REPLIES 3
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: How Is Download Traffic from The PS3 Store Classified?

It's a good question Smiley
I was under the impression that the PS3 simply used a standard set of servers/ports for gaming, but I wonder if the downloads from the PS3 store use the same method.  For example, if the traffic management identifies the traffic by destination IP, and the PS3 download servers have moved then this may cause them to be incorrectly flagged.
Or PN might be classifying them as download servers intentionally, so that large downloads don't affect the priority of "real" gaming traffic.
Unfortunately as it's a PS3 it's a bit trickier to do a Wireshark grab of it.  It's probably worth raising a ticket and asking specifically - the traffic management guys at PN should know or will be able to find out.
B.
James
Grafter

Hi Bob & Barry,
It depends on where the downloads are coming from.
With PS3 traffic, all of the gaming traffic is (obviously) treated and prioritised as gaming, but the downloads of the games (which comes down via port 80) will depend on where they are being sourced from.  Often this is via Akamai, so will be subject to rate limits as these are classed as download servers.
Rate Limit Linky
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks James
Being limted to 1 Mbps would tie in with the time it was taking to do a 700 Mb download when I made the orignal post (Sunday evening).
I'll have to try and encourage my son to do his downloads earlier in the day - preferably before 08:00 if I'm to have any chance of staying within my monthly download limit  Roll_eyes
Bob