Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting games (servers)

Blim
Grafter

Hosting games (servers)

hi,
If I was to host a server such as ut2004, would the people connected to my server receive the same priority traffic as I would joining a outbound server?
Do you have anything against multi hosting? I ask this because I'm getting a bit excited about receiving fibre when this rolls it out in my area at the end of the year and I'll be able to do so much more with my connection. Cant wait.
5 REPLIES 5
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hosting games (servers)

You as the host will get lan speeds plus pings so a maximum of 15ms, as you will be connecting directly to localhost.  So if you don't use any ping balancing if its UT then a big advantage.
Just make sure you don't use the same pc to host as play on, even if it is UT, as a old game it still gets crippled if you host and play on the same pc for anyone joining it.  They will get skipping/ghosting etc while you don't
Also you will Need 15kB's spare bandwidth both up and down for each slot on the server.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Blim
Grafter

yes true, I have second pc for that maybe even a phenom x4 with a crosshair iv formula mb and 4gb dominator-gt 7-7-7-20 1600hz ram to host with soon too. fun fun
Just need to know if my PN connection when I get fibre will be good for it in regards to other people joining and there ping times...
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As long as your upload is reasonably fast it should be ok for informal hosting.  But competitively, it's frowned on due to the advantage you get as the host.  Then its time to cough up for a rented gaming server.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
prichardson
Grafter

In regards to Plusnet traffic management in this scenario.
This will capture this correctly and priority applies to the gaming traffic of the people connected to you (incoming data). Nothing changes to the data you are sending to them from your server.
As more data will be flowing in both directions, compared to you connecting to a remote server, along with the inherent additional latency you all to all clients, the experience remote gamers will see will not be the same as they were connecting to a dedicated server.
Picnic
Grafter

I help run a rented dedi server for GTR2. When I first got FTTC on the PlusNet trial I ran a blind trial, only one other person in the race knew the server was running on a PC at my house rather than on the normal dedicated server. No one else noticed the swap or anything any different. The effect on my bandwidth was a different story. Maybe not an issue now with 250GB allowance.