cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High pings, on league of legends, peak times.

KaotiK
Grafter

High pings, on league of legends, peak times.

Having problems recently from like 7pm til 10pm on league of legends, where im getting high ping. I try other games, use mumble etc, no problems. So is this a problem with plusnet/league of legends, any LoL players here having the same problem?? My friends who i play with arent getting the problem, there on different ISP's. So just thought id ask here as its extremely frustrating and ive never had ping problems on games with plusnet, thats why uim with you, cuz u prioritise gaming... so its a bit baffling and annoying Sad
18 REPLIES 18
prichardson
Grafter

Re: High pings, on league of legends, peak times.

Hi KaotiK,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with LoL. We would like to look into this in some more detail, but need to get a few further details from you if you don't mind.
You note the times of 7pm to 10pm for the problem. Is this a consistent period, or do you see periods (the same period, or random) when you get normal service in those times?
Do you know roughly when this started?
When you are gaming, other than the activities listed, do you have anything else running on your own or any other machines?
What speeds do you see during the time you experience problems? (I don't beleive this is a factor, it's more confirmation)
Looking at the account I see for you, I do not see any support requests. As such, I'm not 100% sure I have the correct account. Can you confirm your username in a PM for me if possible?
KaotiK
Grafter

i havent made a support request yet thought id ask here.
Its pretty much a consistant period yes, last night i played around 10:30pm i think it was and all was fine, i played before 7, and it was fine. so im guessing its just peak time.
It started from last week i think, hard to say as id been working evenings. But basically after the last LoL patch.
nope, just the games basically, and mumble,. i tried closing steam which always runs if im not playing a steam game but no luck.
This is what baffles me, speeds are fine, i run a speedtest, get 5-6mb. run a pingtest, the usual 30-40 ping. Mumble my ping stays low.
thanks for the reply
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks for the info.
The all good showing that everything else is normal and it may have occured from a patch, could mean our traffic management platform not giving priority, or something related to the patch itself.
I'm looking to give you a temporary fix but would like to get some data from you if at all possile. The data will be meaningless whist the temporary fix is applied, so if at all possible we would really appreciate it before applying.
The information we need is from Wireshark. Instructions for this can be found on the following link.
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
It is imperative that you launch Wireshark and start a capture before you start up any of the gaming software. I would recomend that you only use the game and avoid any of your gaming voice software during the capture, to keep the capture smaller.
Depending on the filesize it creates, we will talk it over with you after on how to get the file to us, as larger files will not attach to a ticket.
KaotiK
Grafter

Should i wireshark when the alggy times occur or does it matter?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Any time will do.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
KaotiK
Grafter

Ok just done it,  its like 56kb file, should i upload it somewhere or something?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Zip it up and attach it to a ticket and pop the number in here.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
KaotiK
Grafter

it doesnt let me attach a .rar file 😐
KaotiK
Grafter

i uploaded it to speedyshare - http://speedy.sh/3n37Q/caputeforlol.pcap
hope thats ok
KaotiK
Grafter

is it fine ?
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks for the capture, there are a couple of things to note from this.
1: The capture appears to have been started after the game was started, rather than before as I originally noted.
2: Despite this, we can actually see the gaming data is classified as Titanium and all other data as Gold.
This shows we are capturing this game correctly, in this instance at least. Can you comment on the performance of the game whilst you were performing the capture?
We would expect this to perform well given the titanium status of the traffic.
If the performance was poor, can you perform a traceroute to the following address please: 95.172.65.98
A video on how to run a trace can be found in the following document support library page.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/running_ping_tracert.shtml
We are aware that sometimes the game may not perform well, as my colleague has already done some investigation that shows we do not match all the ports this game uses. We have captured a signature for the game though and aim to capture it every time, rather than just some of the times.
KaotiK
Grafter

ah i didnt know what they meant by when the game started, because with league, the general "launcher" whilst ur waiting to get into a game i didnt think mattered so i waited til i actually loaded into a game to capture.
I had no problems when performing the capture, but this was in the morning when i dont receive any lag.
So do you think its an issue with LoL itself that they need to sort out then? if so, doubt itl be fixed anytime soon, ive been posting on there forums, support etc for help but its the same old generic replies, blah blah your connection/router settings.
Ive been working every evening the past 5 days to so havent had a chance to check what its like in the evening now, hopefully tonight il get some games in.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
With regards to this being a possible issue with LoL itself. At present, we cannot rule this out, however I cannot rule out our network either.
As per my last post, I am already aware that we are not always performing the correct prioritisation on LoL. It just so happened that we were when you performed the capture, which is also completed backed up by the fact that you had no lag during your game.
It would be appreciated though, if you could get us another capture in the evening, during the period you experience the lag.
As noted, it is ideally important that you don't visit the game (and sounds like you should also avoid the lobby), before starting the capture.
We have a signature that we intend to put in place and capture the game correctly at all times of day. We would however like to confirm that this is the correct solution though and if this is indeed directed at our network, or if LoL itself shares a proportion of the solution.
Many thanks
gardencoaster
Grafter

Identical symptoms, different games, same times and same period of time.
I play BF3 on a US server, typically getting a ping over just over 100ms, now 200.
COD5 (World At War) also on a US server, during the daytime 130ms, peak time 200+!
This is with the "Pro" add-on so gaming traffic should be optimised?Huh
After 10pm and the nearer midnight one gets, the pings decrease back to what one would expect.