cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency on WoW, World of Warcraft

Nifty

High latency on WoW, World of Warcraft

Hi,
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this after joining Plusnet but I just joined 1 day ago and raided on WoW for the first time since the switch tonight and basically it was a very frustrating experience. All my 'casts' were late or never happening until a few seconds later, and things would stop and suddenly speed up from time to time. My latency also displayed high numbers compared to my last provider.
I did do a speedtest during that time (which was pretty much the whole duration of the raid from 7pm till 10pm) and although the Download speed seemed more than fine the Upload looked extremely low, not sure if that has anything to do with it?
I was informed before joining that my package would be more than adequate to play online games so I'm pretty disappointed right now.
Anyone playing wow and who are with Plusnet experienced this tonight?
12 REPLIES 12
Azagoth
Grafter

Re: High latency on WoW, World of Warcraft

On Kul Tiras.  No problems here, both Realm and World latency are 20ms-35ms tonight. 
Nifty

I'm also on Kul Tiras EU but still lagging like hell everytime i enter combat. It's getting very annoying. I've performed speed tests and the results are good although the upload isn't super. So the only thing I can think of is that it's incorrectly traffic shaped.
Azagoth
Grafter

I think you're suffering the effects of the 4.1 patch.   I had the exact same thing, if I entered combat or stood anywhere near somebody else who was in combat then the game slowed to a crawl.  I found out it was the QuestHelper add-on that was causing it.  Try disabling all your add-ons and then adding them back one at a time.  I sat in Wintergarde Mausoleum to find out which was the culprit, as there's loads of NPC combat going on.
Nifty

I did try disabling all addons and nothing changed. Also I was playing since 4.1 fine on another provider before with no lag at all and with all addons, but decided to switch since the contract with them expired.
Just not sure why I'm having bad latency. I even purchased the extra pro addon that's recommended by Plusnet for gaming, it did help but I still suffer from lag although it's not to the point that I see myself fastforwarded. Not sure if there's actually a fault on my line or something.
caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm on Kul Tiras too  Tongue and not having any issues with Plusnet.
Maybe it would be worth raising a fault query to see if a specific issue with your connection is at fault. Good luck.
Nifty

Well they did find a fault on my line and fixed it but I'm still experiencing the same lag in game. Before on Talk Talk I used to have constant ms around 23-30ms but currently it jumps up to 200ms in 25 raids and adds around 2 seconds cast time to all my spells which I'm sure those who play healers like me know that's not ideal for end content raiding...
Is anyone else experiencing any lag on Kul Tiras this week? I'm hoping the fix on the line solved the issue and it's just the incoming patch which is causing the lag...
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Are you using the same router as you were with TalkTalk?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

I play World of warcraft, and used to have a latency issue.
I read about something called (I think) drainpiping.  I usually don't play around with  computer settings, but gave it a go.  Much easier than I thought and I never have a lag issue now.  Coincidence? - maybe. But something happened and I'm a happy bunny.  Smiley Smiley
willo

I have this problem most nights hits about 10pm and my latency goes through the roof! Takes around 2 mins to cast mage armor, my ping on vent goes to between 3000-5000, web pages don't load etc etc. Its happened in raids and you can't raid like that Sad
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Our traffic management will be looking after WOW traffic fine.  We'd see an awful lot more complaints if it wasn't.  Does it happen every night at the same time?  Therefore it's probably some sort of fault between you and us.  It's worth raising one from the portal from http://faults.plus.net so our guys can take a look for you.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Mathias
Grafter

Other than that, may be worth checking that you have asked plusnet to uncap your upload speed (normally throttled to ~440kbps), which willl raise it to ~800kbps. Then try turning interleaving off, which will reduce ping and further increase upload speeds, needs a stable line though.
Depends if you have constant high ping or just these spikes when certain things happen in game.
Hope that helps.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

How do I check to see if interleaving is turned off? can I find it in settings?
Huh