cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey all :)

Skylit
Dabbler

Hey all :)

Just signed up to plus net after 10 whole years of AOL (Now CPW)
Man im relieved.
I was red barring alot during games, i play halo competativly so a decent connection during a game is priority, i hunted around for a few days and saw the gamers package and thought it looked great! Requested my MAC code from AOL, nice irish guy for once, asked me why  i wanted to leave, i said my reasons, mainly because they say the max speed i can get on my line is 512kb (But really there just throttling me)
Router Stats:
Line Attenuation  49 db  13 db
Noise Margin 16 db 24 db
He also tried to tell me moving to plus net was not a good idea, and that i should re think and ring up AOL technical support... LOL.
But yeah just came to say hi, and ask how big a difference the gaming package makes to file downloads, latency etc Smiley surely got to be better than CPW?
I also like to watch MLG VoD which is always on in the early hours of the morning as its american, which is great as it wont infringe on the usage limit! Cya  Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Hey all :)

Quote from: Skylit
Router Stats:
Line Attenuation  49 db  13 db
Noise Margin 16 db 24 db

Ho ho ho.. noisy line..  Do you get many disconnects?
And out of interest, have you tried plugging your router into the test socket to see what your sync speed is like there?  I reckon there may be some internal wiring issues that you could do well to fix Smiley
By my reckoning, in decent conditions you should get around a 5Mbps sync rate on your router.  Perhaps we can help you with that Smiley
B.

Skylit
Dabbler

Nope not really, probably 1 or 2 disconnects every month maybe? Is pretty solid. Probably the best thing to come out of AOL/CPW. Just very slow, the sync says 4128KBPS but speed tests always show 100kbps-800kbps.. rarely 2000kbps. Which is wrong, right?
My router is connected to the master socket with no internal wireing so im guessing thats all fine, ring wires have been removed and everything Smiley
So you reckon i should be able to get around 5meg? alot better than 500kbps! haha.
Whatabout my ping times?
EDIT: Will my SNR be reset  when i get switched to the plusnet service. I beleive im on a CPW LLU atm.
zubel
Community Veteran

You'll initially transfer over probably onto ADSLMax, but your profile will start at 2000.  After a few days of "training" your line, you should see your IP profile increase.
It is possible your SNRM will be "reset" during the change, as you'll be migrating back to the BTw IPStream product.  Let's see what happens, but we can advise you as to what to do during your migration to get the best effect.
It is a game of patience though - Unfortunately the BT systems can't be hurried Sad
B.
scootie
Grafter

Smart move.  like said if your moving back on to an bt ip stream at exchange wait for the 10 day settling in period and then see what sync an line profiles you get, Then see about sorting your snr if its still way high and see about turing interleaving off for better latency (but can cause your line to be unstable but i have it off on a 2.5mb line and mines still stable) pretty quick to have it turned off and on allways seems to be done the following moring when i raise a ticket.
As youve gone for the pro package no throttling there will take place on any of the protcols. so no aol stupidty here
plusnet staff all ways there to help if you have any problems and most of pn's customers probally no more about broadband then aol's cs or tech guys
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,
From my experience I get pings of around 15ms to UK BF2142 servers and the connection is stable and reliable. Sometimes I have to reboot my router to get onto a less congested gateway but this only takes about 30 seconds. I am on the Pro Package and ADSL Max. Depending how stable your line is you may want to have interleaving removed to lower your gaming pings if your line seems stable enough with Plusnet.
You will find the Plusnet staff more helpfull then CPW Smiley