cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with steam?

Dorian182
Dabbler

Help with steam?

Hi, this is my first post, I have just moved from tiscali and I am on plusnet pro, I have a 515v6 wired router no firewalls running (apart from windows vista) and I play steam games alot, I can play left 4 dead fine, but when ever I try and play gmod, tf2 or css it wont let me find servers in the server list, I ave posted this problem in the steam forums and they are no help at all, I have tried reinstalling steam, opening ports yet nothing is working! Please help!
16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Help with steam?

Welcome to Plusnet and welcome to the Forum Dorian182 Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't play on line games - too old and slow - but as a first thought try switching off the Plusnet firewall https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Andrew_B
Grafter

What does it say when you search for servers.. do you get any error messages?
Bojangles
Grafter

Exit Steam.
Navigate to to your Steam install folder, by default it's C:\Program Files\Steam
Rename 'ClientRegistry.blob'  to anything eg. 'OldClientRegistry.blob'
Navigate to the C:\Program Files\Steam\config folder
Rename 'serverbrowser.vdf' to anything different like before.
This will also erase any servers in your Favourites and History so make a note of them before doing this if needed.
Start up Steam.
Dorian182
Dabbler

Ok my firewall was already turned off so its not that, I deleted both the clientregestry blog and the server thing, that was to no success either.  Sad On gmod and tf2 it just searches and searches nver finding anything and on CSS its say could not connect to master server. PLEASE HELP! Cry
Dorian182
Dabbler

I cant connect to eveonline either if that helps.
Andrew_B
Grafter

It does sound like a Firewall issue.
When you say the firewall is off do you mean your software firewall or Plusnet firewall or both (although i don't think our firewall would block steam on default settings).
I've seen this solution to the problem posted on a few CSS/Steam forums, not sure if it would work for you?
http://css.setti.info/servers/masterserver
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Also what firewall are you using? I've found that trying to disable McAfee is easier said than done..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dorian182
Dabbler

I am using windows firewall when I turn it off its fine, but I can play left 4 dead, which is strange.
Dorian182
Dabbler

Ok I think ive really mucked up, a guy on the steam forusm said to type "netsh int ip reset" into cmd I did and now my internet keeps cutting out when ever firefox updates it just completely stops, but steam still works so the internet is definetly on.  Cry
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Did you reboot after running that command?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dorian182
Dabbler

Yes, Ive used system restore to go back to an earlier point in time, I seem to be so unlucky its unreal  :'(. Steam still doesnt work, I think ill only take advice from you guys from now on, also its so much better getting help with plusnet tiscali is useless, at least you guys help. :(. Stoopid Computer!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Sorry to hear you're having problems Sad
You haven't mentioned whether or not you had the problem when you were with Tiscali and whether or not the 515v6 is new? You also haven't confirmed whether or not you've disabled the Plusnet Firewall?
The command you were given to run resets your TCP/IP stack and can cure some connectivity problems. Whilst I've never come across it causing problems, I've only ever used it with Windows XP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dorian182
Dabbler

I have turned the plusnet firewall off, my 516v6 is new, and yes I was having the problem with tiscali, I had hoped swapping would have fixed it as tiscali hate steam :(. Also suddenly now if I let fire fox update to 3.0.13 then it wont work it says all websites refused to connect anyway to stop it updating?