cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help re nintendo ds

DeeDeeDee
Dabbler

Help re nintendo ds

I have managed to connect the wii to wireless but am having problems with a dsi and a ds lite. I have now found out i have to change the router to WEP. Is this advisable as i have read that its not. I have 3 kids with ds's who wanted to use wireless.  I know absolutely nothing about computers/routers and what i do know i look up online. Any help  would be appreciated.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Help re nintendo ds

unfortunately the DS' do only support WEP. WEP is the least secure of the wireless authentication.
what I have done is to use my android phone as a portable hotspot for when the DS' want to go on line. I will not lower my router security for it.
Another option may be to get a separate wireless hotspot  that is wep and only switched on when the DS' need it
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

From memory, when I tried setting up my son's 'DSi' to use a WEP access point, I was UNABLE to get it to work on the standard configuration screens - despite all the entries being completed correctly.  I then discovered that if the same information was entered in the "Advanced Setup" menus, then the machine worked PERFECTLY.  Just out of interest I went back and tried the 'basic' settings again - but still no joy, then repeated the "Advanced Setup" and it works as it should !
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I don't think you can do online gaming if it's set up under advanced, you can only get to the store and browse the web.
Also the DSLite doesn't have the advanced mode.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time the only reason I switched the wireless on was to download the firmware updates, as we had one of the first DSi's and it needed patching to overcome some early bugs.
DeeDeeDee
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies. Ive decided not to change the router to WEP. When i was on BT the ds's went on straight away but that was 2 years ago so they were probably on WEP then. They wanted them on to play mario kart and are not really interested in using them as a browser. Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing ?
There is wirelessly connecting to the internet using WiFi and WEP etc,  but I think they can do something else as well.
I don't know all the facts, but a few weeks ago my wife took a car load of kids somewhere, and during the journey they all pulled out their various DS.
I'm told that one of them had "Mario Cart" and was able to wirelessly (but not using WiFi) send the game to the other consoles and then play wirelessly as a group for the rest of the journey.
So I think the wireless you are talking about is built into the consoles, and is separate from the WiFi.
I'll ask my son this evening, as he is a DS addict,  whereas I have absolutely no interest - other than when I have to fix something.
DeeDeeDee
Dabbler

Yes thats right they can play each other in the house but they cant play world wide with other users which is what they need the wireless for i think  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to Wikipedia -
The Nintendo DSi connects to the Internet via either its built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi or a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector; both methods grant access to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service.
The DSi supports WEP, WPA (AES/TKIP), and WPA2 (AES/TKIP) wireless encryption

but the DS Lite only has WEP.
So if you restricted your children to using DSi consoles, then you could keep the higher security WPA / WPA2 settings on your router.

Alternatively, you could pick up a cheap second hand "Wireless g access point" on eBay for less than £10,  set that up for WEP encryption (on a different wireless channel) and plug that into your existing router.
That way you can keep your existing router security high, and then only power on the WEP access point for the duration that the kids want to play, and then switch it off when not in use.
DeeDeeDee
Dabbler

Great thanks i will buy one of them  Smiley