Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues connecting to GTA V Online

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Having issues connecting to GTA V Online

I placed a support ticket with rockstar and they said the following.... altho i must stress ive never had problems with any other online games. Rockstar said this ...
Hello,
We'd like to provide assistance with any Online-related issues with our connection troubleshooting guide:
Check all the physical devices on your network to ensure they are plugged in and powered on.
Perform a connection test on each device connected to the network.
Understanding NAT Types:
NAT Types:
Open
Moderate
Strict
Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
Strict can ONLY connect to open.
Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games.
Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, if another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.
The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.
Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT'd which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.
Port Forwarding:
The following ports are beneficial to have open for Online console gaming:
TCP: 53, 80, 443, 465, 983, 1863, 3074, 5223, 10070-10080
UDP: 53, 88, 1863, 3074, 3478-3479, 3658, 10070
If you need assistance with opening these ports, please refer to the following website for more information (you will need to know your router brand and model, as the website guides are based on specific routers)
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
Here are some additional tips that have helped many players improve their connectivity:
Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded the latest version (very important).
Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.
Enable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.
If you don't care about security, enable DMZ (de-militarized zone) on your router for your PC's address. This turns off all of your router's firewall features for that specific PC.
Get a router that has the "Xbox LIVE compatible" or "Certified for Windows Vista" logo.
Contact your ISP and ask them what your DNS setting should be.
Direct Connection/Power Cycle:
If you are still having issues connecting to the online servers after trying the above steps, try connecting your broadband modem directly to the console or PC on which you are playing this game. At this point, please disconnect your Broadband modem from power for Five (5) minutes. After this time has elapsed, plug the modem back into power and allow the normal power-up cycle to finish.
If this final step does not resolve your issue, please plug a PC directly into your modem and provide us screen shots from the following locations:
www.speedtest.net
www.whatsmyip.org
www.pingtest.net
ipconfig (Windows + R > type "cmd" without quotes > hit okay > type "ipconfig" without quotes > press ENTER )
To take a screenshot (in Win Vista/7/8)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Do i really need to me messing around with those settings ?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Having issues connecting to GTA V Online

As I have said on more than one occassion my sons both have a PS4 a PCs and one also has an Xbox One, none of which have had any issues connecting or playing online and that includes GTA5 on PS4 and Xbox one. But again as I have said before I do not use a PN router, are you?
What you've described is a very long way for a short cut for something that should be plug and play.
St3
Aspiring Champion

eh what u on about
St3
Aspiring Champion

Can someone at plusnet check to see what dns settings i should be using, because rockstar support are saying i need to check there correct with my isp, and im not trying to connect via a console.. i use pc wired to router Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: St3
Do i really need to me messing around with those settings ?

What am I on about? Well in a round about way I was answering your question with a No. My son has GTA5 on both consoles and he never had to do anything that was suggested in your post. For him it was a matter of installing, updating and playing.
St3
Aspiring Champion

good for your son then Tongue But that dont help me lol
Anonymous
Not applicable

No indeed it does not  ;D, but to summarise what I'm saying is this may be down to your router. I use a TP Link TL-R480T+ and not the PlusNet supplied one. What router are you using?
St3
Aspiring Champion

ASUS RTAC56u
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a nice bit of kit but you didn't actually say what your original problem was that prompted you to contact Rock*. So what is the issue you're having?
St3
Aspiring Champion

didnt you read the title of my post  Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but issues is quite ambiguous to say the least, so a description of the issue(s) would be helpful to those reading the post.
St3
Aspiring Champion

i cant connect to GTA 5 online Wink Its been like this for 3 days now... and ive been playing the online version for a few weeks now. I doubt its my end i think its rockstar because many people are reporting the same thing, but rockstar support said i need to check my dns settings with my isp so im hoping plusnet can check this for me to see if it may help.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Lol, they want you to check your DNS settings?
Try using Google's DNS instead of PN's to start with.
I'm not familiar with Asus routers but I managed to find a dummy UI for the RT-AC66U which I imagine will be very similar firmware to your model, if not identical.
DNS settings should be located in Advanced Setting > WAN > WAN DNS Setting, set "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to NO and then type the following into the fields
Server 1: 8.8.8.8
Server 2: 8.8.4.4
I've attached a screenshot from the dummy UI so you should be able to get a look and see how similar it is (if at all) to yours Wink
If that changes nothing, which I imagine will be the case then it's probably some NAT issue in which case you might just want to check everything is port forwarded correctly.