Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Life gets a face lift!

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Half Life gets a face lift!

Hey Guys,
Most of you may know already, but they have/are revamping Half Life with a make over!
More information here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19463712
Release date (Free download): 14th September  Cheesy
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Half Life gets a face lift!

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

A Facelift still doesn't fix the old engine issues, friction or none of.  Hated that game for one reason, jump from a platform to a narrow box/rail etc and you fall off the edge as the game has no friction to stop you, even from a standing jump.
Considering modern FPS's they left it too late to to revive that game, hell we are still waiting for HL2 ep 3 or more like HL3.  Hate to say it but they should put HL out of its misery.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Not sure if i would play it or not, ive got the hl boxset from when it was released but what with playing more upto dat egames it will feel odd playing hl again.
JamesM
Grafter

I could never get into Half Life, I played it for about 2 hours then discovered the free CSS included, and so began my online gaming. I personally wish I had never discovered online gaming because I used to spend hours playing the single player FPS like the original Op Flash and Hidden and Dangerous, now I find single player boring and can't play unless I am killing another online gamer.
St3
Aspiring Champion

i still have the orignal hl boxset =D Im saving it for when im about 103 then ill flog it on e-bay to some retro nut for millions, hopefully Smiley
St3
Aspiring Champion

Im installing black messa atm, has anyone here pld it yet ? Ive actully heard some good reports about it.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Not played it yet mainly down to the crappy mirrors that host it requiring registration or corrupted zips, I will wait for it on steam.  But on other forums reports are its buggy, with Bsods being common
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Managed to get one download running but it will need another 2 hours 3 hours if I am lucky
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Jim you did get the Source SDK 2007? it needs it so another 2.8 gig
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Gus - I already had it
This review isn't too good
-fOfTI
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ukste20
Im installing black messa atm, has anyone here pld it yet ? Ive actully heard some good reports about it.

I'm about 1.5 hours in - played a bit over the weekend. It's as I expected it would be TBH.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gus
Aspiring Pro

The review posted by Jim pretty much says it all, below average.  I wasted 7 gig of bandwidth today, same old HL1 with HL2 graphics with no attempts to fix area's that caused problems navigating.  Plus they added new area's to force you to make a map, as its a nightmare to remember all the area's.
Heavily reduced damage from all weapons on Normal difficulty, let alone at higher difficulties when human soldiers are aim bots.
Pixel perfect jumps are still there, why did they leave them in. sv_cheats 1 / noclip, I've no time for that dated hindrance, if not it is reload hell trying to find the exact pixel to jump from.
Ladders, god I hated those and they again still left the locations of them as is, so it is a right pain trying to get off them where you want to , especially when taking hits from multiple targets.
So save your bandwidth or get it after midnight
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Finally finished it up to the Xen port when it stops.  I had to use noclip to get by bugged scripts that didn't trigger and in some cases they left rocks in the way of paths so it wasn't possible to get by without cheating.
Audio, no 3d sounds from what I could tell.  Can't remember if HL1 had them, but I couldn't tell where shots where coming from.  Intrusive music, even if turned off especially near the end that drowned out everything else.  Human soldier npc's has to been the worst audio they could have thought up for them.
Also they left too much of the bad elements of maps in, when they could have fixed them.  Get used to being lost, as there are very few hints as to the direction you should take.  I like exploration games but this was painful to find my way about.
C minus for the port, can do better
CX
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
Audio, no 3d sounds from what I could tell.  Can't remember if HL1 had them, but I couldn't tell where shots where coming from.

The original Half Life supported Aureal A3D, which is still impressive to hear today (while the 3D positioning was impressive, the frequent blue screens and compatibility issues with Aureal's VxD drivers were not).