Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Xbox Live....

virgolea
Dabbler

HELP! Xbox Live....

Hi, all help appreciated,
I have the old xbox 360 (Not slim) and I am using a wireless adapter to connect to my Plusnet internet service.
So when I connect and the connection does its tests it can't pass the 'Internet' test, comes up "DNS server cant resolve the Xbox servers or Xbox.com" or something along them lines. So I phone up angry that I cant use my xbox live and Plusnet tell me they cant help but to ring Microsoft and to be quite honest im not going to waste my time calling them because I know they wont help! I need someone who knows what they're doing!!
Please feel free to email me at stratford.[removed] (no spam email!)
Thanks, in advance...
Ben,
jim:green email address removed - this forum is open to bot searching  - please use the PM system mod:end
29 REPLIES 29
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: HELP! Xbox Live....

Hi Ben welcome to the forums.
Really you should remove your E-Mail addy, What router are you using?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
virgolea
Dabbler

Oh, the moderator removed it Smiley and Im using the Thomson gateway TG585  - When I just called back to plusnet for the third time they told me to use Portforward.com and i dont no if it has worked...
virgolea
Dabbler

UPDATE
Just tried Xbox Live again and no portforward has not worked, I may not be using it correctly but plusnet are joking if they think im paying anything for portforward.. they can sort it out somehow im sure.. but in the meantime hopefully you can help Steve Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its nothing to do with port forwarding If xbox Is telling you It cant resolve DNS Servers, Log Into your router and see what DNS servers you are using, Is It set to, Get them automatically from ISP?
virgolea
Dabbler

Ive located the DNS servers on the router and entered them manually into the Xbox set up but then it says something about a Static IP. And ive tried setting the xbox to automatically finding the info but thats when it comes up 'Cant resolve DNS Servers blah blah blah.. '
Steve
Seasoned Pro

what's the DNS that you are using In the router? 212.159.13.49? or 212.159.13.50? both? none of them?
virgolea
Dabbler

The primary and secondary DNS my router is using are as follow;
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well with them DNS you shouldn't have any problems connecting to live, That's the ones I use on my router for x box live, Try resetting your router to factory default settings and then make sure upnp is enabled and let the x box find your router Itself. Never mind port forwarding.com or whatever It Is as that's not what you need.
virgolea
Dabbler

Ah right and yeah ive given up with port forwarding its poo! and ok Steve I'll try resetting my router, how do i check if my upnp is enabled?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

See this link here.. https://www.plus.net/support/hardware/thomson585web.pdf Has lots of info, I think It should be enabled by default though but double check.
Edit, Fixed link.
virgolea
Dabbler

Okay, thanks Steve, much obliged Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

See my screenshot for where you can check If UPNP Is on or enabled Smiley
virgolea
Dabbler

Right my UPnP is enabled im just about to reset the router to factory settings, remove Port Forward from my computer! And then check to see if i can get Live working! Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Cool, If It still fails let me know what the xbox Is saying again when you test connection.