cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General gaming connection issues

caz122

General gaming connection issues

Hi there
Since recently switching over to Plusnet I've been plagued by some serious connection issues. A variety of steam games (Dota 2, Counter strike etc) Origin (BF4) and more all suffer from high pings, lag spikes and general packet loss. It's become nearly impossible to play these games and with the purchase of a new PS4 the issue seems to have carried over to that too.
After investing in some powerline technology, I first wondered whether the issue was to do with electrical noise and interference but after experimenting with straightforward wifi on both laptops and computers at a variety of places around the house it makes no difference. It also seems to be extremely variable, some days I have no issues whatsoever, with low pings and no packet loss even when the rest of the house are downloading away.
Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: General gaming connection issues

More than likely you are suffering poor routing via level3, who are plusnets transit host to USA.  Lately they have been having issues.
To find out when ever in a game and you get lag open a dos window and find out the server IP address and trace it with pingplotter etc
At Startbar/Run type CMD
In the  window that opens type NETSTAT -N
Then from the results look for ESTABLISHED in state, e.g. for warframe
Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
TCP    192.168.1.25:49227    96.47.186.235:80      CLOSE_WAIT
TCP    192.168.1.25:49228    96.47.186.215:443      ESTABLISHED
TCP    192.168.1.25:49229    96.47.186.233:6667    ESTABLISHED

Then use pingplotter or similar to trace the IP address from Foreign Address, for warframe it would be 96.47.186.215 or 233 for about 2 minutes
Note run the trace with nothing else online that is actively downloading/viewing pages, so for the duration of the trace leave the pc alone, as if you doing anything online will corrupt the trace.
Then you will find out from the trace if any hops to the server are running slow or dropping packets, or in the results I have seen recently being routed to Europe and then to USA adding anything from 5-15 plus extra hops, when they should go direct to USA from London and not via France or Amsterdam
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
caz122

I'll be sure to try that, however would this problem still occur with UK servers? For example, i tried DayZ standalone today on a variety of UK servers and its unplayable with a huge amount of lag and rubber banding. Today is a particularly bad day in fact and I am unable to play any online games e.g. bf4 and dota2.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

All depends on the routing, that and this time of year it gets worse simply down to congestion as everyone is online.  More this year with on demand TV/videos from various web sites that became popular adding more traffic than normal.
So run some traces to the servers to find out where and probably why
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi Caz122
Your line speed profile was set to high.  I've just tweaked it down a but and hopefully you should see a much better performing line.
This should have been picked up when you raise your fault.  Sorry about that.
Let us know if you are still seeing a problem.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager