cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming

Superted
Dabbler

Gaming

Youtube seems to be interfering with our games quite significantly, is there a list of games that you support? I wouldn't want to go on a pro package unless I was sure we would be gaining something.
14 REPLIES 14
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming

Hi there,
See this link, it should help.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Wait... what?
Are you suggesting that the you are gaming, if someone does some youtube you have issues?
What games?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Depending on your product, gaming and streaming (I assume that Youtube is defined as streaming) could be on the same prioritisation so I would have thought that high bandwidth streaming could affect gaming (on Essentials but not on Unlimited), see 'Traffic Prioritisation' here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
On Essentials both Gaming and Streaming are Gold, on Unlimited Gaming is Titanium and Streaming is Gold.  I notice that 'Other' is Silver on both current products so misclassified gaming could get a lower priority.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Unless you are on fibre so have the bandwidth to be able to have streaming and gaming going on at same time, doing anything else while gaming will affect your in game experience.  So if on ADSL, Gaming plus browsing/checking emails/youtube/iplayer etc etc do Not mix
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
All4One
Grafter

As gus said, you'll just be wrecking your connection with watching youtube and have nothing left for gaming to operate sufficiently
Kelly
Hero

Guys, if he's on a normally managed product, his gaming traffic should be in Titanium and browsing/streaming will be on Gold. This means his gaming should be fine.
Kelly Dorset
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Kelly I am talking about his connections bandwidth.  If someone is watching streams that will take/hog all available bandwidth from the router leaving none or very little for any other devices on his lan.  So be it gaming/voip/browsing e.t.c. he won't have the expected quality the same as if no one else is online.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Kelly
Hero

Which connection?
LAN side he should have plenty of bandwidth, and ADSL side, we'll QOS the gaming above the streaming.
Kelly Dorset
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is that necessarily true Kelly?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kelly
Hero

ah yeah. I am assuming they aren't on essentials! Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Froug
Grafter

Quote from: Superted
Youtube seems to be interfering with our games quite significantly, is there a list of games that you support? I wouldn't want to go on a pro package unless I was sure we would be gaining something.

I have exactly the same problem - any video streaming/large downloading and latency goes through the roof (100s of ms), rendering any of our online games unplayable. I'm in the process of having a form of error correction (called interleaving) switched off, as this can increase latency. The staff here can comment, but you could try having it disabled.
Froug
Grafter

...it didn't help. Investigation is on-going, but I think traffic shaping is at the root of the latency issues (a large file download has less of an impact on latency than video streaming).
Superted
Dabbler

it's a QoS issue, either with your windows QoS Packet Scheduler or the modem/router, I tried changing the settings on the TG582N through telnet but was not proficient enough to fix the issue. After buying a new modem and router, restricting bandwidth per mac address for the devices used for streaming videos/music etc. and imposing a minimum guaranteed bandwidth on my gaming pc I knocked 400+ ms down to 60. There is a few tutorials out there on how to change your registry to improve ping/latency but they are specific to your OS, I followed this http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=26628 and it seemd to cut about 20 ms, which was nice. Sitting about 40 ms atm. with videos playing, files downloading etc.
edit. "Second do NOT ever limit by MAC address unless you absolutely HAVE TO like netmask being broken or something, limiting by MAC has an extra overhead & does not reliably limit traffic on BOTH directions, netmask can & without the overhead. You can always set a static IP to your users' MAC so they have the same IP to avoid them changing IP to bypass QoS, to enhance on that you could also disable DHCP I believe it is so ONLY static IPs can connect, ie if they change their MAC to avoid the static IP to avoid QoS, the router will completely reject the connection. "
I found this a second ago, so don't hold what I say as correct. I will test out using ip instead of mac and see if there is much difference.
Blim
Grafter

QoS was a must have with adsl2+ for me. bbci would grab big chunks every 3 seconds and that would make lag spikes.
I found the DD-WRT firmware (supported routers only) to be very helpfull when using QoS. You set a max bandwidth and the QoS would share equally. If only one person was using the connection they would get the full limit you set. Then by setting the mac of my gaming pc to top priority, it could use the hole connection (no limit) and priority over anyone els.