cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming on Linux

grimreality
Grafter

Gaming on Linux

I have recently, in the past 4 months purchased a new computer and have put Fedora 7 on it with Cedega and VirtualBox which will allow me to play most games although I have a problem with Dark Messiah.
Has anyone out there using Linux managed to make it work?
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Gaming on Linux

I must admit I don't tend to play games on Linux (or anything else).
<ignorance>
Is Dark Messiah a linux game?
</ignorance>
You could try asking in one of the general linux forums on newsnet, or in
The "Linux Users Group" on Google groups (This one is probably the one to try first).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Prod_Man
Grafter

Re: Gaming on Linux

Here is what I do ...
I'd always try to find a Native Installer / Binary first for all games that I want to run on Linux.
If not, try a blind 'wine' or similar emulation.
else,  try configuring wine optimally to get the game to work - copy over needed DLL's / Font's / etc.
Some of my experience with Emulating Windows games =>
I've played the early Call of Duty games in Emulation - minor sound delay issue and random slow downs, Used a Loki installer to install it first.
only way I got the game to work was to enable 'Full Sound Driver Emulation' - because it uses Miles Sound System by default. (use winecfg to edit options)
I run Valve Games through Steam on wine with the exact same FPS as I do on Windows - so long as it's rendering with OpenGL.
Steam needed a Windows font. so, I just copied all my fonts over from Windows 'fonts' Directory, and Steam works (slowly).
Wine puts all the Fonts in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/
it's just a matter of tinkering till it finally works in many cases... Cheesy
I do play alot of Quake engine games on Linux as they are esay to install and run because they are entirely Native.
Hopefully this helps someone, somehow Smiley
Jim,